Обсуждение: REINDEX question

REINDEX question

От
"Mark Steben"

Good morning,

We are at Postgres 7.4.5.  I  have encountered inaccuracies

 after reindexing related to the statistics posted back to the PG_CLASS table

For instance:

 1.  We have a ‘queues’ table with 6 indexes.  We are at 110,000 rows in this table.

      When I reindex, the RELPAGE count decreases as expected but the RELTUPLE

      Count increases to about 132,000 in all indexes.  I check and there are still

      Only 110,000 rows on the table.

 2.  We have a table that is quite volatile in its numbers, ranging from 100 to 6 million rows.

     Last week we were at 50,000 rows but PG_CLASS.RELTUPLES showed 6 million for

     The indexes.  I reindexed and, again the RELPAGES count went down but the RELTUPLES

     Number went down to just 3 million.

     Again a count after reindex gave the actual row count at 52,000.

Does anybody have any insight why this is happening and what I can do in the short term?

I know we are at a back-leveled version so perhaps the long-term answer is to upgrade.

Thank you,

Mark Steben

Senior DBA - AutoRevenue

Direct dial phone number: 413-327-3045

Please visit our new website at www.autorevenue.com

"We do all the work....  you make all the money"

Re: REINDEX question

Дата:
"Mark Steben" <msteben@autorevenue.com> writes:
> We are at Postgres 7.4.5.  I  have encountered inaccuracies
>  after reindexing related to the statistics posted back to the PG_CLASS
> table

reindex enters the exact number of tuples indexed into
pg_class.reltuples.  If there are more than you expect, that says there
are some dead-but-not-removable tuples in the relation.  Check for old
open transactions that might still be able to see old versions of rows.

VACUUM VERBOSE should report the same number of unremovable rows BTW.

            regards, tom lane