Обсуждение: Logging autovacuum activity

Logging autovacuum activity

От
Ireneusz Pluta
Дата:
Hello,

How can I make sure that autovacuum is running, beyond believing that all autovacuum_ settings in
postgresql.conf are set correctly?

In the 8.1 I could see:
LOG:  autovacuum: processing database "test"
in the log.

But I can't find it in the 8.2.4.

I could see some developers discussions about making changes to logging autovacuum activity, however
could not track the discussion tight enough to find what the final solution is.

Thanks

Ireneusz Pluta

Re: Logging autovacuum activity

От
"Sibte Abbas"
Дата:
On 6/20/07, Ireneusz Pluta <ipluta@wp.pl> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> How can I make sure that autovacuum is running, beyond believing that all autovacuum_ settings in
> postgresql.conf are set correctly?
>
> In the 8.1 I could see:
> LOG:  autovacuum: processing database "test"
> in the log.
>
> But I can't find it in the 8.2.4.
>
> I could see some developers discussions about making changes to logging autovacuum activity, however
> could not track the discussion tight enough to find what the final solution is.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ireneusz Pluta

ps -ef | grep autovacuum.

--
Sibte Abbas

Sibte Abbas napisał(a):
> On 6/20/07, Ireneusz Pluta <ipluta@wp.pl> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> How can I make sure that autovacuum is running, beyond believing that
>> all autovacuum_ settings in
>> postgresql.conf are set correctly?
>>
>> In the 8.1 I could see:
>> LOG:  autovacuum: processing database "test"
>> in the log.
>>
>> But I can't find it in the 8.2.4.
>>
>> I could see some developers discussions about making changes to
>> logging autovacuum activity, however
>> could not track the discussion tight enough to find what the final
>> solution is.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Ireneusz Pluta
>>

> ps -ef | grep autovacuum.

It does not show it. I run freebsd, does it matter?

Anyway, I found that I may enable logging autovacuum messages by setting:

  log_min_messages = debug1

in postgresql.conf

I found it from postgresql-8.2.4/src/backend/postmaster/autovacuum.c, where I read in line 420:

         ereport(DEBUG1,
                 (errmsg("autovacuum: processing database \"%s\"", db->name)));

and this is what the developers were discussing and I did not understand initially.

Sorry for the noise.

Ireneusz Pluta

Re: Logging autovacuum activity

От
"Shoaib Mir"
Дата:
You can also use the following query to check the autovacuum activity:

select last_autovacuum, last_autoanalyze from "pg_catalog"."pg_stat_all_tables"

--
Shoaib Mir
EnterpriseDB (www.enterprisedb.com)

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq