Обсуждение: Size of logfiles

Size of logfiles

От
Peter Elmers
Дата:
Hi!

I have searched the web and am sorry to say that i found nothing
about the default behavior of the log files of postgres.

Can anyone tell me when postgres will delete the logfiles or what
postgres automatically do with them?

Best regards,

Peter

Re: Size of logfiles

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Am Montag, 21. Mai 2007 15:38 schrieb Peter Elmers:
> I have searched the web and am sorry to say that i found nothing
> about the default behavior of the log files of postgres.

That's easy:  By default, postgres doesn't write a log file.

There are about half a dozen ways to set this up, though.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Size of logfiles

От
Chris Browne
Дата:
p.elmers@gmx.de (Peter Elmers) writes:
> I have searched the web and am sorry to say that i found nothing
> about the default behavior of the log files of postgres.
>
> Can anyone tell me when postgres will delete the logfiles or what
> postgres automatically do with them?

Can you be a bit more precise about that?

There are the WAL log files; I expect you're not talking about that.

I expect you're talking about the log files containing error messages,
warnings, and such.

PostgreSQL will not, itself, purge out such files; consider that you
can configure it to distribute log information via syslog, which would
push the logs into a mostly OS-managed area.

You'll presumably want to figure out what YOU want your policy to be,
and find suitable tools (lots available) to implement that policy...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "ofni.secnanifxunil" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://linuxfinances.info/info/linuxxian.html

Re: Size of logfiles

От
Peter Elmers
Дата:
Hi Peter,

Thank you for your fast reply. Yes, indeed i ment the normal error-
logfiles.

But if i start postgres with "-l" what duration does the logfiles have?

Thanks,

Peter

Am 21.05.2007 um 16:42 schrieb Peter Eisentraut:

> Am Montag, 21. Mai 2007 15:38 schrieb Peter Elmers:
>> I have searched the web and am sorry to say that i found nothing
>> about the default behavior of the log files of postgres.
>
> That's easy:  By default, postgres doesn't write a log file.
>
> There are about half a dozen ways to set this up, though.
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut
> http://developer.postgresql.org/~petere/

Re: Size of logfiles

От
Peter Elmers
Дата:
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your fast reply. Indeed i ment the normal logfiles. But
you point me to another question:

I am just reading the manual regarding WAL, but until now, i found no
hint about the default setting for the redo-logs(WAL).
Can you give me a hint?

Thanks,

Peter

Am 21.05.2007 um 16:44 schrieb Chris Browne:

> p.elmers@gmx.de (Peter Elmers) writes:
>> I have searched the web and am sorry to say that i found nothing
>> about the default behavior of the log files of postgres.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me when postgres will delete the logfiles or what
>> postgres automatically do with them?
>
> Can you be a bit more precise about that?
>
> There are the WAL log files; I expect you're not talking about that.
>
> I expect you're talking about the log files containing error messages,
> warnings, and such.
>
> PostgreSQL will not, itself, purge out such files; consider that you
> can configure it to distribute log information via syslog, which would
> push the logs into a mostly OS-managed area.
>
> You'll presumably want to figure out what YOU want your policy to be,
> and find suitable tools (lots available) to implement that policy...
> --
> (reverse (concatenate 'string "ofni.secnanifxunil" "@" "enworbbc"))
> http://linuxfinances.info/info/linuxxian.html
> "We should start referring to processes which run in the background by
> their correct technical name:... paenguins."  -- Kevin M Bealer
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------

Re: Size of logfiles

От
Peter Elmers
Дата:
Hi!

Just for other users who might have the same question:

With default settings, postgres writes 3 WAL files. Each of them has
the size of 16 mb. They are located at the data directory within the
subdirectory pg_xlog.

Cheers,

Peter