Обсуждение: System Area

System Area

От
"Alexander B."
Дата:
Hi,

I would like to know if Postgres has shared memory like Library Cache
(avoid to do parse the same sql), Dictionary Cache (metadata
information), Sort Area and so on?

Oracle has this structures. And Postgres?
I couldn't find anything about memory on Postgres.

Thanks.

Yahoo! Mail - Sempre a melhor opção para você!
Experimente já e veja as novidades.
http://br.yahoo.com/mailbeta/tudonovo/

Re: System Area

От
Achilleas Mantzios
Дата:
Στις Πέμπτη 01 Φεβρουάριος 2007 13:11, ο/η Alexander B. έγραψε:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if Postgres has shared memory like Library Cache
> (avoid to do parse the same sql), Dictionary Cache (metadata
> information), Sort Area and so on?

Yes, PostgreSQL makes use of SYSV IPC shared mem and semaphores.

> Oracle has this structures. And Postgres?
> I couldn't find anything about memory on Postgres.
>
> Thanks.

Achilleas Mantzios

Re: System Area

От
"Jonah H. Harris"
Дата:
On 2/1/07, Achilleas Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com> wrote:
> > I would like to know if Postgres has shared memory like Library Cache
> > (avoid to do parse the same sql), Dictionary Cache (metadata
> > information), Sort Area and so on?
>
> Yes, PostgreSQL makes use of SYSV IPC shared mem and semaphores.

That's not the question that was asked though.  The correct answer is
no, PostgreSQL does not have a global statement caching subsystem like
Oracle's Library Cache.  The majority of PostgreSQL caches are
backend-local... which means that each backend maintains its own
cache.  PostgreSQL has no algorithms similar to a hard, soft, or
soft-soft parse; it's all hard parsing in PostgreSQL unless you
explicitly prepare a statement.

Keep in mind that, once your session is terminated, so is all of your
cache data (including prepared statements).  This isn't too much of an
issue on a connection-pooled system, but if you have lots of
client/server activity, you'll want to make sure you use prepared
statements.

> > Oracle has this structures. And Postgres?
> > I couldn't find anything about memory on Postgres.

PostgreSQL uses shared memory, but it's primarily for the buffer cache
and some shared variables.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation            | fax: 732.331.1301