Обсуждение: pg_restore speed

pg_restore speed

От
Colton A Smith
Hi:

   I have a 90G postgis-enabled postgresql
database that I'm upgrading from 8.1.5 to
8.2.1.  I initiated pg_restore nearly
six days ago and it's still churning away,
surely but slowly.  Is this amount of
time normal? Or have I done something
wrong?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Re: pg_restore speed

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Colton A Smith wrote:
> Hi:
>
>   I have a 90G postgis-enabled postgresql
> database that I'm upgrading from 8.1.5 to
> 8.2.1.  I initiated pg_restore nearly
> six days ago and it's still churning away,
> surely but slowly.  Is this amount of
> time normal? Or have I done something
> wrong?

6 days seems like an awful long time I could see 12-15 hours. What type
of machine do you have? What was the pg_dump command you used and
respective pg_restore?

> Any help is appreciated!
>
> Thanks

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: pg_restore speed

Дата:
> Colton A Smith wrote:
>> I have a 90G postgis-enabled postgresql
>> database that I'm upgrading from 8.1.5 to
>> 8.2.1.  I initiated pg_restore nearly
>> six days ago and it's still churning away,
>> surely but slowly.  Is this amount of
>> time normal? Or have I done something
>> wrong?

> 6 days seems like an awful long time I could see 12-15 hours. What type
> of machine do you have? What was the pg_dump command you used and
> respective pg_restore?

What is the restore actually doing at the moment?  (Look in
pg_stat_activity)

For such a large DB I'd think you'd really need to increase
shared_buffers, checkpoint_segments, and maintenance_work_mem well
beyond their default values ... did you do that before starting to
restore?  (Actually I think you could probably do the latter two
on-the-fly without disturbing the restore, so that might be something
to try before giving up and starting over.)

            regards, tom lane