Обсуждение: Pg_dump behaviour

Pg_dump behaviour

От
Hélder M. Vieira
Дата:
I often perform single-table backups using pgadmin.
Recently, a problem occurred while doing that kind of backup using pgadmin
1.6.2 and PostgreSQL 8.2.1 on a Windows server:
When trying to backup a table contained in a specific schema, pg_dump can't
find the table.

For instance, I have a database named 'mdg', containing a schema named
'art', in turn containing a table named 'tefh'.
When I try to backup this table to the root directory with pgadmin, it
generates and executes the following command:

pg_dump.exe -i -h localhost -p 5432 -U postgres -F c -v -f "c:\tefh" -t
tefh -n art mdg

Pg_dump then raises the following error:

pg_dump: No matching tables were found

I tried some alternatives from the command line, but pg_dump only seems to
make the single-table backup when the table name is qualified, as in:

pg_dump.exe -i -h localhost -p 5432 -U postgres -F c -v -f "c:\tefh" -t
art.tefh mdg

At this point, I'd say that the command generated by pgadmin should work, as
it seems to be consistent with pg_dump documentation. Any hints ?

Thank you.

Hélder M. Vieira

Re: Pg_dump behaviour

Дата:
"=?iso-8859-1?Q?H=E9lder_M._Vieira?=" <hmv@mail.telepac.pt> writes:
> I often perform single-table backups using pgadmin.
> Recently, a problem occurred while doing that kind of backup using pgadmin
> 1.6.2 and PostgreSQL 8.2.1 on a Windows server:
> For instance, I have a database named 'mdg', containing a schema named
> 'art', in turn containing a table named 'tefh'.
> When I try to backup this table to the root directory with pgadmin, it
> generates and executes the following command:

> pg_dump.exe -i -h localhost -p 5432 -U postgres -F c -v -f "c:\tefh" -t
> tefh -n art mdg

That was the pre-8.2 way to do it; now the right thing would be
    -t art.tefh
Sounds like pgadmin needs an update.  While they're at it, they should
definitely lose the -i switch ... using that by default is extremely
stupid/dangerous.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Pg_dump behaviour

От