Обсуждение: Stored procedure array limits

Stored procedure array limits

От
"Paul B. Anderson"
Дата:
I have a large stored procedure with 16 arrays, mostly varchar, each
with dimension 3000.  The procedure works fine on a small number of rows
used from these arrays but gets the following error for large rowsets:

  ERROR:  invalid array subscripts
  CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function "name_search" line 64 at assignment

I have not exceeded the size of the arrays, index-wise.

I increased max_stack_depth to 32768 and work_mem to 32768 but without
effect.

If I comment out two particular arrays (that can have null values), it
also runs OK.

Anybody have any ideas?

Paul

Re: Stored procedure array limits

Дата:
"Paul B. Anderson" <paul.a@pnlassociates.com> writes:
> I have a large stored procedure with 16 arrays, mostly varchar, each
> with dimension 3000.  The procedure works fine on a small number of rows
> used from these arrays but gets the following error for large rowsets:

>   ERROR:  invalid array subscripts

Right offhand I only see that error being thrown for out-of-range array
subscripts.  Are you maybe trying to fill the arrays in nonsequential
order?

> If I comment out two particular arrays (that can have null values), it
> also runs OK.

As already noted, we don't support nulls in arrays before 8.2, but
I'm not exactly sure how that omission leads to this error message.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Stored procedure array limits

От
"Paul B. Anderson"
Дата:
I've checked my code and it does not seem to run past any limits.  I am filling the arrays in sequential order, extending each one in parallel with the others.

The null problem fixed the code for some cases but I'm still having problems in general and with the same error message but reported in another place.

Paul

.

Re: Stored procedure array limits

От
"Paul B. Anderson"
Дата:
Actually, I was not filling all of the arrays in sequential order.  I added code to initialize them in order and the function seems to be working now.  Is that a known problem?

Paul

Tom Lane wrote:
"Paul B. Anderson" <paul.a@pnlassociates.com> writes:
I have a large stored procedure with 16 arrays, mostly varchar, each
with dimension 3000.  The procedure works fine on a small number of rows
used from these arrays but gets the following error for large rowsets:

  ERROR:  invalid array subscripts
Right offhand I only see that error being thrown for out-of-range array
subscripts.  Are you maybe trying to fill the arrays in nonsequential
order?

If I comment out two particular arrays (that can have null values), it
also runs OK.
As already noted, we don't support nulls in arrays before 8.2, but
I'm not exactly sure how that omission leads to this error message.
		regards, tom lane

.

Array assignment behavior (was Re: Stored procedure array limits)

Дата:
[ expanding this thread, as it now needs wider discussion ]

"Paul B. Anderson" <paul.a@pnlassociates.com> writes:
> Actually, I was not filling all of the arrays in sequential order.  I
> added code to initialize them in order and the function seems to be
> working now.  Is that a known problem?

Well, it's a documented behavior: section 8.10.4 saith

    A stored array value can be enlarged by assigning to an element
    adjacent to those already present, or by assigning to a slice
    that is adjacent to or overlaps the data already present.

Up to 8.2 we didn't have a lot of choice about this, because without any
ability to have nulls embedded in arrays, there wasn't any sane thing to
do with the intermediate positions if you assigned to an element not
adjacent to the existing range.  As of 8.2 we could allow assignment to
arbitrary positions by filling the intermediate positions with nulls.
The code hasn't actually been changed to allow that, but it's something
we could consider doing now.

Comments?

            regards, tom lane

Re: [GENERAL] Array assignment behavior (was Re: Stored procedure array limits)

От
Casey Duncan
Дата:
On Sep 29, 2006, at 9:14 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

> [ expanding this thread, as it now needs wider discussion ]
>
> "Paul B. Anderson" <paul.a@pnlassociates.com> writes:
>> Actually, I was not filling all of the arrays in sequential order.  I
>> added code to initialize them in order and the function seems to be
>> working now.  Is that a known problem?
>
> Well, it's a documented behavior: section 8.10.4 saith
>
>     A stored array value can be enlarged by assigning to an element
>     adjacent to those already present, or by assigning to a slice
>     that is adjacent to or overlaps the data already present.
>
> Up to 8.2 we didn't have a lot of choice about this, because
> without any
> ability to have nulls embedded in arrays, there wasn't any sane
> thing to
> do with the intermediate positions if you assigned to an element not
> adjacent to the existing range.  As of 8.2 we could allow
> assignment to
> arbitrary positions by filling the intermediate positions with nulls.
> The code hasn't actually been changed to allow that, but it's
> something
> we could consider doing now.
>
> Comments?

At first blush, this strikes me as a bit too magical/implicit. Are
there other languages where sequences behave similarly? The best
analogy that comes to mind is sparse files, but in that case there is
an implicit contract that the intervening empty regions do not
actually occupy physical space, doesn't sound like that's true here.

I think the result of this change would be more difficult debugging
of off-by-one errors and their ilk, rather than actually being a real
benefit.

OTOH, perhaps there is a real use-case I am missing here. I don't see
the rest of this thread on GENERAL and I couldn't find it searching
the archives, where did it come from?

-Casey

Re: [GENERAL] Array assignment behavior (was Re: Stored procedure array limits)

От
"John D. Burger"
Дата:
>> As of 8.2 we could allow assignment to
>> arbitrary positions by filling the intermediate positions with nulls.
>> The code hasn't actually been changed to allow that, but it's
>> something
>> we could consider doing now.
>
> At first blush, this strikes me as a bit too magical/implicit. Are
> there other languages where sequences behave similarly?

 > perl -e '@A = (1, 2, 3); print "@A\n"; $A[10] = 10; print "@A\n";'
1 2 3
1 2 3        10

- John D. Burger
   MITRE

Re: Array assignment behavior (was Re: Stored procedure array

От
"Paul B. Anderson"
Дата:
It seems that the suggestion to fill intermediate positions with NULLs would be preferable to the current behavior.

I know of no requirement to populate arrays in sequence in any other language so I think other programmers would be surprised too by the current behavior.

Paul

Tom Lane wrote:
[...]

TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to      choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not      match

.

Re: [GENERAL] Array assignment behavior (was Re: Stored procedure

От
Erik Jones
Дата:
Yep, that definitely threw me the first time I encountered it.

--
erik jones <erik@myemma.com>
software development

Re: [GENERAL] Array assignment behavior (was Re: Stored procedure array limits)

Дата:
"John D. Burger" <john@mitre.org> writes:
>>> As of 8.2 we could allow assignment to
>>> arbitrary positions by filling the intermediate positions with nulls.
>>> The code hasn't actually been changed to allow that, but it's
>>> something we could consider doing now.
>>
>> At first blush, this strikes me as a bit too magical/implicit. Are
>> there other languages where sequences behave similarly?

>>> perl -e '@A = (1, 2, 3); print "@A\n"; $A[10] = 10; print "@A\n";'
> 1 2 3
> 1 2 3        10

Actually, now that I look closely, I think the SQL spec demands exactly
this.  Recall that SQL99 only allows one-dimensional, lower-bound-one
arrays.  The specification for UPDATE ... SET C[I] = SV ... reads

              Case:

              i) If the value of C is null, then an exception condition is
                 raised: data exception - null value in array target.

             ii) Otherwise:

                 1) Let N be the maximum cardinality of C.

                 2) Let M be the cardinality of the value of C.

                 3) Let I be the value of the <simple value specification>
                   immediately contained in <update target>.

                 4) Let EDT be the element type of C.

                 5) Case:

                   A) If I is greater than zero and less than or equal to
                      M, then the value of C is replaced by an array A
                      with element type EDT and cardinality M derived as
                      follows:

                      I) For j varying from 1 (one) to I-1 and from I+1 to
                        M, the j-th element in A is the value of the j-th
                        element in C.

                     II) The I-th element of A is set to the specified
                        update value, denoted by SV, by applying the
                        General Rules of Subclause 9.2, "Store assignment",
                        to the I-th element of A and SV as TARGET and
                        VALUE, respectively.

                   B) If I is greater than M and less than or equal to
                      N, then the value of C is replaced by an array A
                      with element type EDT and cardinality I derived as
                      follows:

                      I) For j varying from 1 (one) to M, the j-th element
                        in A is the value of the j-th element in C.

                     II) For j varying from M+1 to I-1, the j-th element in
                        A is the null value.

                    III) The I-th element of A is set to the specified
                        update value, denoted by SV, by applying the
                        General Rules of Subclause 9.2, "Store assignment",
                        to the I-th element of A and SV as TARGET and
                        VALUE, respectively.

                   C) Otherwise, an exception condition is raised: data
                      exception - array element error.

We currently violate case i by allowing the null array value to be
replaced by a single-element array.  I'm disinclined to change that,
as I think our behavior is more useful than the spec's.  But case ii.5.B
pretty clearly describes null-fill, so I think we'd better do that, now
that we can.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [GENERAL] Array assignment behavior (was Re: Stored procedure

От
Erik Jones
Дата:
Ok, just so I can be sure I understand what I just read:  i. says that
you can assign to an array that has not been initialized.  ii.  states
that the index of an insertion into an array should  not be limited by
the current range of index values of the array and requires any gaps in
the index range to be set with values of null.  I really don't have
anything to add to discussion other than that I agree with Tom's
assessment, but rather want clarify what might be a slightly hazy
interpretation of the specs listed below.

erik jones <erik@myemma.com>
software development
emma(r)