Обсуждение: Inserting bit-type value into integer-type column

Inserting bit-type value into integer-type column

От
"Riho Maisa"
Дата:
Hi!

I have quite strange situation (at least for me). In one older server I have debian Woody and postgresql version shows "PostgreSQL 7.2.1 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC 2.95.4". The server is not installed by me.

I built new server, debian Sarge with default Postgresql from package: PostgreSQL 7.4.7 on i386-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC i386-linux-gcc (GCC) 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-12)

I create database and a table: CREATE TABLE test (id integer, id2 integer);

I have SQL sentence: INSERT INTO test VALUES (x'0121', 7)  (yes, type BIT into INTEGER column)

The anomaly for me: in 7.2 it works, but in 7.4 it doesn't. I cannot rewrite SQL INSERT because it's in compiled application.

Could anybody say how it is possible and is there any way to get the same sql working in my newer server using PostgreSQL 7.4? It seems for me as a configuration issue.

  Riho

Re: Inserting bit-type value into integer-type column

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Am Dienstag, 29. August 2006 10:32 schrieb Riho Maisa:
> The anomaly for me: in 7.2 it works, but in 7.4 it doesn't.

7.2 was wrong to accept such things; 7.4 fixed it.

> I cannot rewrite SQL INSERT because it's in compiled application.

Either fix your application or patch the PostgreSQL server or stick with 7.2
(not recommended, because 7.2 is not maintained anymore).

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Inserting bit-type value into integer-type column

Дата:
> Am Dienstag, 29. August 2006 10:32 schrieb Riho Maisa:
>> I cannot rewrite SQL INSERT because it's in compiled application.

> Either fix your application or patch the PostgreSQL server or stick with 7.2
> (not recommended, because 7.2 is not maintained anymore).

The patch would be pretty easy though: just tweak the pg_cast entry for
bit to int casting so that it's "assignment" rather than "explicit".

            regards, tom lane