Обсуждение: Problem with PostgreSQL 8.1.4 Install (using RPMs)

Problem with PostgreSQL 8.1.4 Install (using RPMs)

От
"Lane Van Ingen"
Дата:
The basic install of Red Hat (RHEL ES 4.0) for PostgreSQL version 8.1.4
appears to have gone well (database is up and running) except for one thing:
I can't login as postgres.

Assume the login would be 'postgres' or 'postgresql', but can't get in via
psql or pgAdmin3 to set up new users and database. I have looked through the
documentation, but don't see anywhere that tells what password I must use to
get in as the DBA.

Does anyone know what the initial user/password should be? Thanks.

Re: Problem with PostgreSQL 8.1.4 Install (using RPMs)

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Lane Van Ingen wrote:
> Does anyone know what the initial user/password should be? Thanks.

Probably postgres without a password but with ident authentication,
which means you must log in as the postgres user on your OS.  (That one
probably doesn't have a password either, so go through root.)

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Problem with PostgreSQL 8.1.4 Install (using RPMs)

Дата:
> Lane Van Ingen wrote:
>> Does anyone know what the initial user/password should be? Thanks.

> Probably postgres without a password but with ident authentication,
> which means you must log in as the postgres user on your OS.  (That one
> probably doesn't have a password either, so go through root.)

ie, something like

    sudo su - postgres -c "psql"

Since the default is ident auth, even if you'd assigned a password it
would be irrelevant to whether you could get into the database or not.
If you want to use passwords to control that, you'll need to edit
pg_hba.conf.

            regards, tom lane