Обсуждение: Tempdb

Tempdb

От
"Sharma;G.S."
Дата:
Hi,
can anybody tell me the How temporary tablespace management is done by postgres .
where the temdb is located , how to find out the space taken by tempdb .
Thanks

Disclaimer :- This e-mail message including any attachment may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. It should not be used by who is not the original intended recipient. If you have erroneously received this message, you are notified that you are strictly prohibited from using, copying, altering or disclosing the content of this message. Please delete it immediately and notify the sender. Newgen Software Technologies Ltd and / or its subsidiary Companies accept no responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by this email including damage from virus and further acknowledges that any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and no binding nature of the message shall be implied or assumed unless the sender does so expressly with due authority of Newgen Software Technologies Ltd and / or its subsidiary Companies, as applicable.

Re: Tempdb

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 10:52, Sharma;G.S. wrote:
> Hi,
> can anybody tell me the How temporary tablespace management is done by
> postgres .
> where the temdb is located , how to find out the space taken by tempdb

Slowly step away from the Oracle and everything will be OK.  :)

Seriously though, PostgreSQL doesn't use a separate temporary database
for temp stuff, it uses a set of temporary schemas for temporary things.

If you have temporary stuff, you'll see the schemas.

test=> create temporary table abc (a int);
CREATE TABLE

test=> \dn
        List of schemas
        Name        |  Owner
--------------------+----------
 daily20051021      | postgres
 information_schema | postgres
 pg_catalog         | postgres
 pg_temp_3          | postgres
 pg_toast           | postgres
 public             | smarlowe
(8 rows)

You can change your search path to one:

test=> set search_path='pg_temp_1';
SET
test=> \d
          List of relations
  Schema   | Name | Type  |  Owner
-----------+------+-------+----------
 pg_temp_3 | abc  | table | smarlowe
(1 row)

Note that tablespace management (quotas, etc.) are MUCH more primitive
in PostgreSQL than in Oracle.

This partly reflects the eras in which the two dbs grew up and what they
were doing.

Oracle grew up when 500 Meg RAID arrays were quite large, and space was
expensive, and controlling the use of it was important.

PostgreSQL "grew up" much later, when 500 Meg hard drives were door
stops and controlling the use of disk space was often more bother than
just adding on more drives to an array.

Not that there's no need for quotes in postgresql, there is.  It's just
not been a priority for anyone to jump into.

Now that we have table spaces, you can use those to control space usage
by putting different things on differently sized drive arrays.  Still
kinda primitive, but it works.