Обсуждение: disk usage spike

disk usage spike

От
Geoff Parker
Дата:
I have a database with about 155GB of binary data in large objects and 15GB of data in other tables.  In compressed form, it consumes about 60GB on disk.  On friday, the amount of disk usage increased to 240GB (over a period of 5 minutes), stayed at 240GB for 2 days, and then returned to 60GB (again over a period of about 5 minutes).

What would cause such a spike in disk usage? And why would it stay at such a high level for 2 days?

This is postgresql 8.1.4 on a slightly modified RHEL4 system (2.6.17 kernel).

At the time the spike occurred (about 2pm), I may have been running some simple queries against various tables to determine usage statistics (eg, how many rows in table a, sum of column b in table c, etc (maximum of 100,000 rows in the tables,  <10 columns), no nasty joins or anything).  Also, I may have extracted a couple of large objects in full (not more than 200MB).

Otherwise, the database processes a few (< 20) small (< 1k data) inserts/updates/deletes per minute.  This would have been the only traffic to the database after friday afternoon when I went home.

Autovacuum is turned on and the system had finished importing a large amount of data (50GB) earlier (4am) that morning.    Is it possible the spike was caused by autovacuum re-indexing the pg_largeobject table?

Thanks,
Geoff.

Re: disk usage spike

Дата:
Geoff Parker <geoffparkernews@yahoo.ca> writes:
> I have a database with about 155GB of binary data in large objects and 15GB of data in other tables.  In compressed
form,it consumes about 60GB on disk.  On friday, the amount of disk usage increased to 240GB (over a period of 5
minutes),stayed at 240GB for 2 days, and then returned to 60GB (again over a period of about 5 minutes).

It's impossible to say much with only that amount of information.  If we
knew what part of the database had bloated (table? index? WAL log?) we
could perhaps offer some wisdom.  Next time, use "du" and and related
tools to see where the space went.

            regards, tom lane

Re: disk usage spike

От
Geoff Parker
Дата:
Unfortunately I didn't notice the problem until I saw the logs today, and by then it was back tor normal.

Is it safe to assume this is abnormal behaviour?

Geoff.

> I have a database with about 155GB of binary data in large objects and 15GB of data in other tables.  In compressed form, it consumes about 60GB on disk.  On friday, the amount of disk usage increased to 240GB (over a period of 5 minutes), stayed at 240GB for 2 days, and then returned to 60GB (again over a period of about 5 minutes).

It's impossible to say much with only that amount of information.  If we
knew what part of the database had bloated (table? index? WAL log?) we
could perhaps offer some wisdom.  Next time, use "du" and and related
tools to see where the space went.

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: disk usage spike

От
Jim Nasby
Дата:
On Aug 7, 2006, at 10:36 PM, Geoff Parker wrote:
> Unfortunately I didn't notice the problem until I saw the logs
> today, and by then it was back tor normal.
>
> Is it safe to assume this is abnormal behaviour?

Probably, unless you had a transaction running for 2 days that was
using space in pgsql_tmp. Another possibility would be if you killed
a backend that had stuff in pgsql_tmp and it didn't clean that up for
some reason, but I don't think it should be possible for that to happen.

There's also the remote possibility that a table bloated due to a lot
of rows being updated, and that table later ended up with a bunch of
empty pages at the end of the table, which vacuum then removed.