Обсуждение: which is the best

which is the best

От
slackman@unika.ac.id
Дата:
hii all,
Now I have 3 database A,B,C is working in Interbase v 5.6,
but Interbas v 5.6 is no longger can hold what the client wants,
I will conver it in Postgresql, I need your advice which is the
bertter result:

(1):
 unika (schema)

    |------ A
    |------------ B
    |------------------- C

(2) create database A, create database B, create database C

thank you all

Re: which is the best

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 09:42:59AM +0700, slackman@unika.ac.id wrote:
> Now I have 3 database A,B,C is working in Interbase v 5.6,
> but Interbas v 5.6 is no longger can hold what the client wants,
> I will conver it in Postgresql, I need your advice which is the
> bertter result:
>
> (1):
> unika (schema)
>    |------ A
>    |------------ B
>    |------------------- C
>
> (2) create database A, create database B, create database C

Which way is "better" depends on your access patterns.  PostgreSQL
doesn't support cross-database queries (except via functions like
dblink), so if you need to join tables in one database with tables
in another then you'll probably want make A, B, and C schemas in
the same database.  But if A, B, and C have no relationship with
one another then you might want to isolate them as separate databases.

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: which is the best

От
Guido Neitzer
Дата:
On 17.04.2006, at 5:18 Uhr, Michael Fuhr wrote:

> Which way is "better" depends on your access patterns.  PostgreSQL
> doesn't support cross-database queries (except via functions like
> dblink), so if you need to join tables in one database with tables
> in another then you'll probably want make A, B, and C schemas in
> the same database.  But if A, B, and C have no relationship with
> one another then you might want to isolate them as separate databases.

This is also dependant on the tool you use for accessing the
databases. E.g. Apple WebObjects has no problems in working with
relationships over severals databases, even if these databases are
from different vendors. I have an application running, that joins
information from a PostgreSQL, a FrontBase and an Oracle db in one
"fetch" without any special voodoo going on on the database side.
Only thing to have is that primary and foreign keys are in a
compatible format.

I think this question can't be answered correctly without specific
knowledge about the whole environment.

cug

--
PharmaLine, Essen, GERMANY
Software and Database Development

Вложения

Re: which is the best

От
Juan Miguel
Дата:
Michael Fuhr escribió:

>On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 09:42:59AM +0700, slackman@unika.ac.id wrote:
>

>>Now I have 3 database A,B,C is working in Interbase v 5.6,
>>but Interbas v 5.6 is no longger can hold what the client wants,

Sure ?
Before thinking to change the database, have you test firebird database
? visit "http://www.firebirdsql.org/".
I tested it two years ago on linux. Postgres offers me better things
than Interbase/Firebird, but if you have a 5.6 Interbase database,
perhaps you should try Interbase before, because it's the natural open
source evolution of Interbase.
You should investigate what you can loose and win when you change the
database (application code, SQL queries, DB drivers, triggers, stored
procedures, OS plataform, DB utilities and administation tools, etc),
before doing it.

Luck.