Обсуждение: Unrecognized service: 8.1.3 on Fedora Core 3

Unrecognized service: 8.1.3 on Fedora Core 3

От
"François"
Дата:
Hi,

Just upgraded postgresql to 8.1.3, and successfuly configured, started and stopped the RDBMS.  One thing I just couldn't do: postgresql as a service on FC3.

I copied and renamed this script: postgresql-8.1.3 /contrib/start-scripts/linux to : /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql and  followed the instructions within the script:

#   make symlinks to
#   /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K02postgresql
#   /etc/rc.d/rc1.d/K02postgresql
#   /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/K02postgresql
#   /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S98postgresql
#   /etc/rc.d/rc4.d/S98postgresql
#   /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S98postgresql

if I try at the command line to start the service:

> service postgresql start

I get:

> unrecognized service

I'm certain it's a simple thing to get the RDBMS fire up at boot, but then, after searching and searching for a solution, I just gave up.

Thanks for your help,

Francois

Re: Unrecognized service: 8.1.3 on Fedora Core 3

Дата:
"=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois?=" <francois.x.hetu@gmail.com> writes:
> if I try at the command line to start the service:
>> service postgresql start
> I get:
>> unrecognized service

Looking at the Fedora "service" script, it seems to want the target file
to not only exist but be executable:

if [ -x "${SERVICEDIR}/${SERVICE}" ]; then
   env -i LANG=$LANG PATH=$PATH TERM=$TERM "${SERVICEDIR}/${SERVICE}" ${OPTIONS}
else
   echo $"${SERVICE}: unrecognized service" >&2
   exit 1
fi

So I'm thinking you forgot to set execute permission on the
postgresql init file.

Having said that ... why don't you use the RPM distribution?
It contains a vastly more modern init script than this thing
from contrib.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Unrecognized service: 8.1.3 on Fedora Core 3

От
"François"
Дата:
Thank you Tom,

To the point, fast, and accurate...  Much appreciated.

Regards,

Francois