Обсуждение: Running Postgres on CD - With Win32

Running Postgres on CD - With Win32

От
Dennis Wagner
Дата:
Hi everybody!

I was using Postgres for quite some time now without any problems. Now
I'm facing some new challenge: Create a Read-Only Client out of a given
Application and put it on CD/DVD. As the Application uses a
PostgreSQL-DB (running on a FreeBSD-Server) I would like to at least
keep the DB-Interface and use Postgres. The client-app, unfortunatly, is
written for the .NET-Platform and doesn't run under mono (yet). So the
CD would need to be run under Windows for the moment. I found some
Threads discussion using a Knoppix-like approach to get Postgres running
on a read-only medium but they were all concentrationg on linux. As far
as I understand there is no way of turning WAL completely off (which
would be ok for a CD-version as false writes cannot occur und thus
cannot destroy the db-content). So then there are two possibilities:
Send all writes to log-files to nirvana (like the good old BOFH used to
do) or into a memdrive. Has anybody accomplished the task to run
PostgreSQL from CD (even on Linux) and is willing to contribute some of
his/her experiences?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

...Dennis

Re: Running Postgres on CD - With Win32

От
Peter Childs
Дата:
If all you want is a client you should just be able to write it and it will connect to the server and work. The client does not need to write just the server.

Peter Childs

[...]

Дата:
Hi Peter!<br /><br /> Of course I don't want to just include a client. For that i would just use Npgsql and that's it.
AndI wouldn't need a CD/DVD at all. No, I want to export some of the data stored in the (linux-)backend onto the DVD
togetherwith a read-only-version of the client-app. And that application is a .NET-(Windows-)app. That would spare me
theefford to create two different data-access-methods as I could just change the connection-string and would be
through...Perfect solution, iff I can get postgres to run directly from that data-carrying DVD. And I don't want to
installpostgres on any machine that DVD is run on. Most likely users won't have admin-rights or even priviledged
cite="mida2de01dd0512310627v2eabae2m@mail.gmail.com"type="cite">If all you want is a client you should just be able to
writeit and it will connect to the server and work. The client does not need to write just the server. <br /><br />
href="mailto:dennis@dennis-wagner.info">dennis@dennis-wagner.info</a>>wrote:</span><blockquote class="gmail_quote"
style="border-left:1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">Hi everybody!<br /><br
/>I was using Postgres for quite some time now without any problems. Now<br /> I'm facing some new challenge: Create a
Read-OnlyClient out of a given<br /> Application and put it on CD/DVD. As the Application uses a <br /> PostgreSQL-DB
(runningon a FreeBSD-Server) I would like to at least<br /> keep the DB-Interface and use Postgres. The client-app,
unfortunatly,is<br /> written for the .NET-Platform and doesn't run under mono (yet). So the <br /> CD would need to be
rununder Windows for the moment. I found some<br /> Threads discussion using a Knoppix-like approach to get Postgres
running<br/> on a read-only medium but they were all concentrationg on linux. As far <br /> as I understand there is no
wayof turning WAL completely off (which<br /> would be ok for a CD-version as false writes cannot occur und thus<br />
cannotdestroy the db-content). So then there are two possibilities:<br /> Send all writes to log-files to nirvana (like
thegood old BOFH used to <br /> do) or into a memdrive. Has anybody accomplished the task to run<br /> PostgreSQL from
CD(even on Linux) and is willing to contribute some of<br /> his/her experiences?<br /> Any help is greatly
broadcast)---------------------------<br/> TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings<br
Dennis Wagner

SpheronVR AG                                <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:wagner@spheron.com">wagner@spheron.com</a>
Hauptstrasse 186                        <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.spheron.com">http://www.spheron.com</a>

67714 Waldfischbach-Burgalben      Phone +49 63 33 / 27 66 -24
Germany                              Fax +49 63 33 / 27 66 -11</pre>