Обсуждение: binary vs. txt dumps with pg

binary vs. txt dumps with pg

От
Dick Visser
Дата:
Hi all

This is my first post to the pgsal-admin list.
I am doing IT support for a small company, and we have been running PG
for a few years now.

I have recently upgraded our PG-8.0.3 server to 8.1.0.
Everything went OK, and now I am working on the backup schema.

I seems that since 8.1 pg_dump does not include a switch to dump blobs
anymore. As a consequence, it is now also possible to dump db's with
blobs in txt format. This is great, only the dumps become rather large
because the blobs have to be escaped etc etc.

Since I use rysnc to a remote host for backups, I have created a
script hat dumps each db to a file, and then checks if the dump from
yesterday is different. If not, the new dump is deleted and the old dump
stays in place. This means a significant smaller backup, since most of
our db's are pretty big but do not change that much.

I have been fiddling with all kinds of techniques to accomplish this.
The only way that seems to work is to make txt based dumps, and strip
out all the comments and empty lines:

pg_dump -Fp db_name | sed 's/^--//g' > db_name.txt.dump

If no data has changed, doing this one day later will yield a dump that
is 100% the same (as per md5sum).

Since the txt dump is really big (in my case way over 2 Gb) I decided to
compress it as well:

pg_dump -Fp db_name | sed 's/^--//g' | gzip -n > db_name.txt.dump.gz

This yields a file of 850 Mb, and the md5sums of unchanged db's are stil
the same.

When I try to dump to custom format, the dumps are *not* the same
anymore, even though the data has *not* changed. Example: dumping a db
that is not in use twice will yielf different files:

$ pg_dump -Fc test > test1.dump
$ pg_dump -Fc test > test2.dump
$ md5sum test*.dump
ec158ad86aabc7322c4b4dca58d6e4de  test1.dump
9156ce40ae5f7c54c64382e078a2bb67  test2.dump

I suspect it is because the -Fc format also contains comments etc.

Is there a way to make -Fc dumps that do not contain any comments,
timestamps or other stuff that makes consequent dumps of the same db
different? This would be very helpfull. The txt dumps I use now are OK
but are really big and slow to dump/restore.

Best regards,

--
   *    ***     Dick Visser         TIENHUIS Networking
  **   *   *    Touwbaan 68             P: +31206843731

Re: binary vs. txt dumps with pg

Дата:
Dick Visser <dick.visser@tienhuis.nl> writes:
> Since I use rysnc to a remote host for backups, I have created a
> script hat dumps each db to a file, and then checks if the dump from
> yesterday is different.

> I have been fiddling with all kinds of techniques to accomplish this.
> The only way that seems to work is to make txt based dumps, and strip
> out all the comments and empty lines:

Have you retested this assumption recently?  We got rid of the OIDs and
stuff in the default comments, so I think that you should be able to
just diff the text dump files without any weird processing.

> When I try to dump to custom format, the dumps are *not* the same
> anymore, even though the data has *not* changed.

There's a timestamp in the custom format file header.

            regards, tom lane

Re: binary vs. txt dumps with pg

От
Dick Visser
Дата:
Hi Tom

> Have you retested this assumption recently?  We got rid of the OIDs and
> stuff in the default comments, so I think that you should be able to
> just diff the text dump files without any weird processing.

Hmmm you're right, they are the same now. I don't know what I did this
week, but I was pretty sure the files were different.
Nevermind then, as this saves time and effort.

> There's a timestamp in the custom format file header.

Ah OK that explains the different sums.
Would it be an idea to make it a (default) configuration option for
pg_dump to include a timestamp?

You could work around it by disgarding the first X bytes when
checksumming. Any idea what X would be?

Best regards,

--
   *    ***     Dick Visser         TIENHUIS Networking
  **   *   *    Touwbaan 68             P: +31206843731
   *   * ***    1018 HS Amsterdam       F: +31208641420
   *   * * *    The Netherlands         M: +31622698108
   *   **  *    IP-phone (SIP)/email:  dick@tienhuis.nl
   *   *   *    PGP-key: http://www.tienhuis.nl/gpg.txt
   *   *   *    Webcam: http://www.tienhuis.nl/cam2.asx
  ***   ***

Re: binary vs. txt dumps with pg

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 07:32:24PM +0100, Dick Visser wrote:
> You could work around it by disgarding the first X bytes when
> checksumming. Any idea what X would be?

I believe that by default the custom format is gzip'd, which also means
you probably couldn't exclude just the timestamp. Though if you're using
rsync, I think there's a good chance it would only tranfer the first few
hundred KB...

Re: binary vs. txt dumps with pg

От
Dick Visser
Дата:
Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> I believe that by default the custom format is gzip'd, which also means
> you probably couldn't exclude just the timestamp. Though if you're using
> rsync, I think there's a good chance it would only tranfer the first few
> hundred KB...

Yes that is true.
What I forgot to mention is that our backups are made with rsnapshot.
This means that if files have changed, a complete copy of the file is
backupped....