Обсуждение: Backing up views, functions

Backing up views, functions

От
Benjamin Arai
Дата:
I have a database of several million records and we are currently
developing pl functions and views.  How do you dump only the code for
views and functions?

Benjamin

Re: Backing up views, functions

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 10:53:37PM -0800, Benjamin Arai wrote:
> I have a database of several million records and we are currently
> developing pl functions and views.  How do you dump only the code for
> views and functions?

pg_dump doesn't allow you to be that selective, but you could use
the --schema-only option to dump everything except the data.  If
you use one of the non-text dump formats then you could selectively
restore objects with pg_restore.  See the pg_restore documentation
for the -l/--list and -L/--use-list options and the example near the
bottom of the page.

Some people maintain the code for functions and views outside the
database, perhaps under a version control system, and then reload
it when they make changes.

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: Backing up views, functions

От
Bricklen Anderson
Дата:
Benjamin Arai wrote:
> I have a database of several million records and we are currently
> developing pl functions and views.  How do you dump only the code for
> views and functions?
>
> Benjamin

This has come up before, if you search the archives, you'll find various
ways of accomplishing this.
Here's a start (one way of getting function source)
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2005-10/msg01633.php

Re: Backing up views, functions

От
Bricklen Anderson
Дата:
Benjamin Arai wrote:
> I have a database of several million records and we are currently
> developing pl functions and views.  How do you dump only the code for
> views and functions?
>
> Benjamin

Also, one way of recreating views:

select 'drop view '||viewname||'; CREATE OR REPLACE view '||viewname||'
as '||definition||'\n' from pg_views where schemaname='public';