Обсуждение: Postgres Database slow

Postgres Database slow

От
Nirmal Kumar
Дата:
Hi

We are facing a slowness problem in posgres Database.
Whenver we query a data it is very very slow.It is
running on the IBM ISERIES I5 Server.

HARDWARE: IBM Iseries I5 PPC Server
OS: SUSE LINUX ENTERPRISE SERVER 9.0
POSTGRESSQL: 7.4.2
WEB SERVER: APACHE2

Using the command line also it is taking long time to
query a database.

Any Cluses

Regards
Nirmal

__________________________________
http://farechase.yahoo.com

Re: Postgres Database slow

От
Jaime Casanova
Дата:
On 11/21/05, Nirmal Kumar <nirmal1980@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> We are facing a slowness problem in posgres Database.
> Whenver we query a data it is very very slow.It is
> running on the IBM ISERIES I5 Server.
>
> HARDWARE: IBM Iseries I5 PPC Server
> OS: SUSE LINUX ENTERPRISE SERVER 9.0
> POSTGRESSQL: 7.4.2
> WEB SERVER: APACHE2
>
> Using the command line also it is taking long time to
> query a database.
>
> Any Cluses
>
> Regards
> Nirmal

how many memory do you have?
can you show an explain of some query that is slow?
had you run VACUUM ANALYZE (or ANALYZE at least) recently?

it's all the system that slow or just queries? (maybe it is a problem
of lack of resources)

--
regards,
Jaime Casanova

Re: Postgres Database slow

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
How about the output from explain analyze on one of the slow queries?

On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 07:04:29AM -0800, Nirmal Kumar wrote:
> Hi
>
> We are facing a slowness problem in posgres Database.
> Whenver we query a data it is very very slow.It is
> running on the IBM ISERIES I5 Server.
>
> HARDWARE: IBM Iseries I5 PPC Server
> OS: SUSE LINUX ENTERPRISE SERVER 9.0
> POSTGRESSQL: 7.4.2
> WEB SERVER: APACHE2
>
> Using the command line also it is taking long time to
> query a database.
>
> Any Cluses
>
> Regards
> Nirmal
>

> __________________________________
> http://farechase.yahoo.com

Re: Postgres Database slow

От
Jeff Frost
Дата:
What is the explain analyze output of the query which is slow?  What does your
data look like?  What's your postgresql.conf look like?

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005, Nirmal Kumar wrote:

> Hi
>
> We are facing a slowness problem in posgres Database.
> Whenver we query a data it is very very slow.It is
> running on the IBM ISERIES I5 Server.
>
> HARDWARE: IBM Iseries I5 PPC Server
> OS: SUSE LINUX ENTERPRISE SERVER 9.0
> POSTGRESSQL: 7.4.2
> WEB SERVER: APACHE2
>
> Using the command line also it is taking long time to
> query a database.
>
> Any Cluses
>
> Regards
> Nirmal
>

> __________________________________
> http://farechase.yahoo.com

Jeff Frost, Owner     <jeff@frostconsultingllc.com>
Frost Consulting, LLC     http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/
Phone: 650-780-7908    FAX: 650-649-1954

Re: Postgres Database slow

От
Brad Nicholson
Дата:
Nirmal Kumar wrote:

>Hi
>
>We are facing a slowness problem in posgres Database.
>Whenver we query a data it is very very slow.It is
>running on the IBM ISERIES I5 Server.
>
>HARDWARE: IBM Iseries I5 PPC Server
>OS: SUSE LINUX ENTERPRISE SERVER 9.0
>POSTGRESSQL: 7.4.2
>WEB SERVER: APACHE2
>
>Using the command line also it is taking long time to
>query a database.
>
>Any Cluses

Nope,  because you haven't given anything for us to work with.

It could the database configuration.  It could be the hardware.  It
could be poorly written queries.  It could be that you aren't vacuuming
the database often enough, ect, ect.

A good place to start looking would be to use the explain command to
look at the query plans for some of your queries.  Post some to the list
if you need a hand.

--
Brad Nicholson  416-673-4106

Re: Postgres Database slow

От
Jaime Casanova
Дата:
always CC list

On 11/24/05, Nirmal Kumar <nirmal1980@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Jamie
>
> Thanks for the Reply.
>
> Memory allocated: 756MB.
> We are not finding any problem on the Hardware.
>
> we tried to explain a normal query of same db load in
> two different servers and postgres 7.4.2 seems to take
> a lot of execution time comparatively higher than a
> 7.3.8 version of postgres
>
> The servers are mandrake 9.1 for 7.3.8 and suse in
> ppc has 7.4.2
>
> We will try vaccum analise and get back to you.

if you found that the problem persist you can send info about the
query, tables (and views) involved, indexes, explain analyze (from
7.3.8 if possible, and from 7.4.2)...

--
Atentamente,
Jaime Casanova