Обсуждение: Re: ERROR: could not read block

Re: ERROR: could not read block

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
Could my issue be the same problem as this thread?:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2005-11/msg00114.php

The references to "Invalid Argument" caught my eye.  That thread
did start from a very different point, though.

-Kevin

>>> "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov>  >>>
It appears that the log file is not being written -- I'll start a
separate thread on that issue.

I reran the query.  Same error, same relation, different block.

dtr=> UPDATE
dtr->     "DbTranRepository"
dtr-> SET "userId" = UPPER("userId")
dtr-> WHERE (
dtr(>     ("userId" <> UPPER("userId")) AND
dtr(>     ("timestampValue" BETWEEN '2005-10-28' AND '2005-11-15'));
ERROR:  could not read block 1118215 of relation 1663/16385/16483:
Invalid argument

-Kevin

Re: ERROR: could not read block

От
Joshua Marsh
Дата:
Could my issue be the same problem as this thread?:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2005-11/msg00114.php

The references to "Invalid Argument" caught my eye.  That thread
did start from a very different point, though.

-Kevin

It's possible.  You said that the log file wasn't working, and you can reproduce the error, so the first thing I would do is solve the logging problem, then reproduce the error and see what the log says.

I'm not familiar with pgsql on windows, but check to make sure you have logging turned on in the postgresql.conf file (this is on by default).  Make sure you are logging to a file and directory that the pgsql service has permissions to write to.

Does the windows system log give you any errors or warnings when pgsql starts? Perhaps it will describe why it's not logging.

-Josh

Re: ERROR: could not read block

От
Qingqing Zhou

> I reran the query.  Same error, same relation, different block.
>
> dtr=> UPDATE
> dtr->     "DbTranRepository"
> dtr-> SET "userId" = UPPER("userId")
> dtr-> WHERE (
> dtr(>     ("userId" <> UPPER("userId")) AND
> dtr(>     ("timestampValue" BETWEEN '2005-10-28' AND '2005-11-15'));
> ERROR:  could not read block 1118215 of relation 1663/16385/16483:
> Invalid argument

So this is a big query? Somebody reported this error when IO is intensive.
To conclude the reports we have received:

(1) If IO is intensive (no matter you have anti-virus software or not),
you may encounter "invalud argument" error;

(2) In some cases, anti-virus software could cause "invalid argument"
error;

(3) You may encounter "permission denied" problem (no matter you have
anti-virus software or not) in some unknown condition;

Unfortunately we haven't found out the cause of this problem ... I am
thinking an urgent need is let PG print the GetLastError() for Windows
version as well.

Regards,
Qingqing