Обсуждение: Partitioning in 8.1

Partitioning in 8.1

От
Chris Hoover
Дата:
Does anyone have a link to documents that describe the new partitioning that is available in 8.1 (I look at the 8.1 docs but did not see any, but I may be blind :) )?

I'd like to experiment with it and see if it can help with our data needs.

For those interested:

I need to be able to have a live oltp table partitioned based upon a key field or even better key fields.  I really need it to be able to handle all oltp operations.  Can the new partition system handle that (i.e. one partitioned table with insert, update, delete, and select statments thrown at it)?

thanks,

Chris

Re: Partitioning in 8.1

Дата:
Chris Hoover <revoohc@gmail.com> writes:
> Does anyone have a link to documents that describe the new partitioning that
> is available in 8.1 (I look at the 8.1 docs but did not see any, but I may
> be blind :) )?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/ddl-partitioning.html

It's not really a new feature in terms of there being any new syntax,
it's just that there's more optimizer support for a certain way of
doing things.

I'm not sure that this really belongs in the DDL chapter ... seems like
Performance Tips might have been a more appropriate heading to put it
under.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Partitioning in 8.1

От
Chris Hoover

Chris Hoover <revoohc@gmail.com> writes:
> Does anyone have a link to documents that describe the new partitioning that
> is available in 8.1 (I look at the 8.1 docs but did not see any, but I may
> be blind :) )?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/ddl-partitioning.html

It's not really a new feature in terms of there being any new syntax,
it's just that there's more optimizer support for a certain way of
doing things.

I'm not sure that this really belongs in the DDL chapter ... seems like
Performance Tips might have been a more appropriate heading to put it
under.

                        regards, tom lane
Thanks for the link.  When I originally tried to find it on Tues/Wed the search did not seem to work with 8.1 and I did not see in looking through the index.

Chris