Обсуждение: Fwd: Question: 2 GB file limit on linux

Fwd: Question: 2 GB file limit on linux

От
"Will Lewis"
Дата:
Hi,

I sent this request recently but have heard nothing.

I'm new to he whole procedure and may be doing this incorrectly.

Please advise.

Thanks
Will Lewis

Database Administrator (DBA)
Central IT
Romney House
Bristol City Council
(0117 9222736)
I saw a reference somewhere to a 2GB file limit when backing up Postgres databases on Linux. I can't remember where I
sawit but our database is nearing 2 GB in size and concerns are creeping in.

We are running Postgres 7.4 on Redhat AS4.

Is this still a problem or has this been resolved on this version of Linux?

Thanks
WL

Re: Fwd: Question: 2 GB file limit on linux

Дата:
"Will Lewis" <will_lewis@bristol-city.gov.uk> writes:
> I saw a reference somewhere to a 2GB file limit when backing up Postgres da=
> tabases on Linux. I can't remember where I saw it but our database is neari=
> ng 2 GB in size and concerns are creeping in.
> We are running Postgres 7.4 on Redhat AS4.
> Is this still a problem or has this been resolved on this version of Linux?

It probably works, but if you're worried you should test it directly.
Create a scratch database, load a few GB of data, see if the backup and
restore procedures you are currently using choke.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Question: 2 GB file limit on linux

От
Rajesh Kumar Mallah
Дата:
Hi Will,

There is not much reason of concern.
Firstly the limit is not on the size of database that postgres can handle,
it is on the size of a single file that can be created on the filesystem and
the total size of filesystem.

We have database of 18GB and compressed dump files are between 2-3 GB.

On modern linux system the size of single file and files system is
quite large which depends
on filesystem type , architecture (32bit or 64bit) , glibc version and
(may be other things).

Refer Below for some info.
http://linuxreviews.org/sysadmin/filesystems/

It may be a good idea to VERIFY the largest size of file that you can create
becuase that is going to limit the size of the database dump file. to verify
you may use dd command to create a file of say 5GB

$ dd if=/dev/zero of=test.dat bs=1024 count=5242880
$ ls -lh test.dat

Regds
Rajesh Kumar Mallah

On 10/11/05, Will Lewis <will_lewis@bristol-city.gov.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I sent this request recently but have heard nothing.
>
> I'm new to he whole procedure and may be doing this incorrectly.
>
> Please advise.
>
> Thanks
> Will Lewis
>
> Database Administrator (DBA)
> Central IT
> Romney House
> Bristol City Council
> (0117 9222736)

Re: Fwd: Question: 2 GB file limit on linux

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Will Lewis wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I sent this request recently but have heard nothing.
>
>I'm new to he whole procedure and may be doing this incorrectly.

I don't know if anyone ever responded to you however the 2GB limit is an
OLD limit and hasn't been an issue
for at least 6 releases of RedHat.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>Please advise.
>
>Thanks
>Will Lewis
>
>Database Administrator (DBA)
>Central IT
>Romney House
>Bristol City Council
>(0117 9222736)

> Question: 2 GB file limit on linux
> From:
> "Will Lewis" <will_lewis@bristol-city.gov.uk>
> Date:
> Wed, 05 Oct 2005 15:41:20 +0100
> To:
> <pgsql-admin@postgresql.org>
>
> To:
> <pgsql-admin@postgresql.org>
>

>I saw a reference somewhere to a 2GB file limit when backing up Postgres databases on Linux. I can't remember where I
sawit but our database is nearing 2 GB in size and concerns are creeping in.

>We are running Postgres 7.4 on Redhat AS4.
>
>Is this still a problem or has this been resolved on this version of Linux?
>
>Thanks
>WL

>TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Fwd: Question: 2 GB file limit on linux

От
Tsirkin Evgeny
Дата:
we are using 7.4 with more than 2G and dump restore works fine (suse
9).of course that does not mean it will work fine for you...
evgeny