Обсуждение: Initdb error during silent install on windows 2000

Initdb error during silent install on windows 2000

От
"Karim Mardhani"
Hi All:

I am getting following error from initdb during silent installation of 8.0.1:

creating directory C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.0/data/global ... initdb: could not create directory "C:/Program Files": File exists

I have searched about this issue and usually this happens due to a permission problem.  I have checked the permission they look fine to me.  Also I have used same install on at least 15 other PCs (Mix of win 2K and win xp) and it worked fine for each one except this one.  Any ideas what might be the problem?  Following are the permissions on this PC (BTW other PCs have exactly same permissions and install works without any problem):

C:\:  Everyone => Allow FullControl, No Deny
C:\Program Files: Group User => Allow Read &Execute, List Folder Content, Read.  No Deny

The user postgres is member of group Users.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks

Karim

Re: Initdb error during silent install on windows 2000

От
"Karim Mardhani"
Дата:
One update on this problem.

I updated my install script to create a directory "md C:\pgdata" and update the command line for postgresql install to include "DATADIR=C:\pgdata" and everything works fine.

Maybe the space in "Program Files" is causing this problem?  But then again the installation worked fine for at least 15 other PCs where the data base data was in C:\Program Files.

Don't know what's going on here.

Thanks

Karim

[...]

"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
>     One update on this problem.
>
>     I updated my install script to create a directory "md
> C:\pgdata" and update the command line for postgresql install
> to include "DATADIR=C:\pgdata" and everything works fine.
>
>     Maybe the space in "Program Files" is causing this
> problem?  But then again the installation worked fine for at
> least 15 other PCs where the data base data was in C:\Program Files.
>
>     Don't know what's going on here.

Do you by any chance have a directory called "C:\Program"? That would be
present on this machine and not the others?

//Magnus

any clue?

От
Guido Barosio
Дата:
Hi all,

Are the below lines related with a disrupted client connection and a bad backend behaviour? That's what  I think. I used to fetch these lines con pgadmin III connections.

Anyway, I have the idea of a bad hardware, well known here due to a DELL box hosting this postgres, but I would like to understand if this is 100% related with bad hardware, or a prolly client problem, hiting against my postgres

red hat linux, 2.4.21, 4 gb of RAM, postgres 7.4.2.

send(9, "D\200\0\0\0\0162002-12-30D\200\0\0\0\0162002-12-30"..., 8192, 0) = -1 EPIPE (Broken pipe)
--- SIGPIPE (Broken pipe) ---
send(9, "D\200\0\0\0\0162002-12-30D\200\0\0\0\0162002-12-30"..., 8192, 0) = -1 EPIPE (Broken pipe)
--- SIGPIPE (Broken pipe) ---
send(9, "D\200\0\0\0\0162002-12-28D\200\0\0\0\0162002-12-28"..., 8192, 0) = -1 EPIPE (Broken pipe)
--- SIGPIPE (Broken pipe) ---
send(9, "D\200\0\0\0\0162002-12-28D\200\0\0\0\0162002-12-28"..., 8192, 0) = -1 EPIPE (Broken pipe)

Thanks in advance.

Re: Initdb error during silent install on windows 2000

От
"Karim Mardhani"
Дата:
  No.  There is no "C:\Program" directory on this machine.

  Thanks

  Karim

  > I updated my install script to create a directory "md
  > C:\pgdata" and update the command line for postgresql install
  > to include "DATADIR=C:\pgdata" and everything works fine.
  >
  > Maybe the space in "Program Files" is causing this
  > problem?  But then again the installation worked fine for at
  > least 15 other PCs where the data base data was in C:\Program Files.
  >
  > Don't know what's going on here.

  Do you by any chance have a directory called "C:\Program"? That would be
  present on this machine and not the others?

  //Magnus

Re: any clue?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Guido Barosio wrote:
>  Are the below lines related with a disrupted client connection and a
> bad backend behaviour?

It looks like the client went away without telling the server (perhaps a
crash).

--
Peter Eisentraut