Обсуждение: password authentication with external passwd file

password authentication with external passwd file

От
Jason Stone
Дата:

Re: password authentication with external passwd file

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Sat, Aug 27, 2005 at 01:31:25AM -0700, Jason Stone wrote:
> I would like to know first, if I'm mistaken, or if external passwd files
> are now specified in some other way, or must be enabled at compile time or
> something like that; ie, am I doing something wrong?

The 7.3 Release Notes have the following items:

* Remove secondary password file capability and pg_password utility (Bruce)

* Add variable db_user_namespace for database-local user names (Bruce)

> If this feature is indeed no longer supported, is there some other way
> that I can allow the same username to have different passwords on
> different databases?

See the documentation for db_user_namespace:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/runtime-config.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-CONNECTION-SECURITY

> The background is that this is a hosting environment, and each customer is
> given one database to use however they want; different human users should
> be able to create database users with the same username without
> accidentally granting each other rights on their own databases.  We
> currently do this by maintaining a password file per user/database, and
> letting users put whatever usernames and passwords they want into the
> password file for their database.

If you use db_user_namespace then you might have to provide an
interface for users to manage the user names in their databases.
One possibility would be to write a set of SECURITY DEFINER functions
that execute the correct CREATE USER, DROP USER, etc. commands.

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: password authentication with external passwd file

От
Jason Stone
Дата:

Re: password authentication with external passwd file

Дата:
Jason Stone <pgsql-admin@dfmm.org> writes:
> out of curiosity, why was the secondary password file capability removed?

You'd have to look into the pghackers archives for details, but my
recollection is that it didn't play nicely with other features that we
wanted to add.

> I really liked the simplicity of being able to manage users completely
> outside of the database, and to be able to do maintainence on the user
> accounts without the database's even running.

This is rather an overstatement.  You were able to change their passwords
externally, perhaps, but that's a pretty limited form of "management".

            regards, tom lane