Обсуждение: Size of Large objects

Size of Large objects

От
"Bianca Oberst"
Дата:
Hello,

I'm new in postgres. I searched the archives, but I don't find an answer. So
can anybody tell me the explicit size, which a clob or a blob can have in
postgres 8.0?

Thank you,
Bianca

+++ GMX - die erste Adresse f���r Mail, Message, More +++

Re: Size of Large objects

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Am Dienstag, 26. Juli 2005 08:37 schrieb Bianca Oberst:
> I'm new in postgres. I searched the archives, but I don't find an answer.
> So can anybody tell me the explicit size, which a clob or a blob can have
> in postgres 8.0?

Columns can contain up to 1 GB of data.  The terms clob or blob are not used
in PostgreSQL; the limitation is the same on all column types.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Size of Large objects

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 09:47:33AM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 26. Juli 2005 08:37 schrieb Bianca Oberst:
> > I'm new in postgres. I searched the archives, but I don't find an answer.
> > So can anybody tell me the explicit size, which a clob or a blob can have
> > in postgres 8.0?
>
> Columns can contain up to 1 GB of data.  The terms clob or blob are not used
> in PostgreSQL; the limitation is the same on all column types.

Not entirely true...

decibel=# select version();
 PostgreSQL 8.0.3 on powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0, compiled by GCC gcc
 (GCC) 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1495)

 decibel=# create table t(v varchar(1000000000));
 ERROR:  length for type varchar cannot exceed 10485760
 decibel=#

Re: Size of Large objects

От
"Bianca Oberst"
Дата:
Okay, thanks!

Bianca

Re: Size of Large objects

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Am Dienstag, 26. Juli 2005 09:55 schrieb Jim C. Nasby:
>  decibel=# create table t(v varchar(1000000000));
>  ERROR:  length for type varchar cannot exceed 10485760

The length you can declare and the size you can store (if a length declaration
doesn't stop you) are, for various uninteresting reasons, not related.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Size of Large objects

Дата:
> Am Dienstag, 26. Juli 2005 09:55 schrieb Jim C. Nasby:
>> decibel=# create table t(v varchar(1000000000));
>> ERROR:  length for type varchar cannot exceed 10485760

> The length you can declare and the size you can store (if a length declaration
> doesn't stop you) are, for various uninteresting reasons, not related.

Also, you can just say "varchar" with no specific length limit, which is
then more or less equivalent to "text".

            regards, tom lane