Обсуждение: change existing table definition

change existing table definition

От
Chuming Chen
Дата:
Hi, all,

How can I change the column definition of an existing table, ie. from
varchar(30) to varchar(50)? Is there any way to add a new column to an
existing table?

Thank you for your suggestions.

Chuming Chen

Re: change existing table definition

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Chuming Chen wrote:
> How can I change the column definition of an existing table, ie. from
> varchar(30) to varchar(50)? Is there any way to add a new column to
> an existing table?

The ALTER TABLE command can do all that.  You need version 8.0 or later
for some functionality though.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: change existing table definition

От
Chuming Chen
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>Chuming Chen wrote:
>

>>How can I change the column definition of an existing table, ie. from
>>varchar(30) to varchar(50)? Is there any way to add a new column to
>>an existing table?
>>

>The ALTER TABLE command can do all that.  You need version 8.0 or later
>for some functionality though.

Is there another way to do it in 7.* ?

Re: change existing table definition

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 09:27:32AM -0400, Chuming Chen wrote:

> How can I change the column definition of an existing table, ie. from
> varchar(30) to varchar(50)? Is there any way to add a new column to an
> existing table?

See ALTER TABLE in the documentation and "How do you change a
column's data type?" in the FAQ:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/sql-altertable.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ.html#4.3

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

Re: change existing table definition

От
Johannes Lochmann
Дата:
On Tuesday 28 June 2005 15:27, Chuming Chen wrote:

Hello,

> How can I change the column definition of an existing table, ie. from
> varchar(30) to varchar(50)?

You did not mention any version, so for 8.0.x:

alter table t alter col type varchar(50);

> Is there any way to add a new column to an
> existing table?

alter table t add colum foo varchar(127)

Link tip:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/ddl-alter.html

HTH

Johannes

Re: change existing table definition

От
"Lee Wu"
Дата:
In PG 7, you can add column like:
create table test (c1 varchar(30));
alter table test add column c2 int;
select version();
                           version
 PostgreSQL 7.3.2 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC 2.96
(1 row)

I do not know you can alter field/column length in PG 8 and it can be
done in PG 8:
select version();
                                                 version
----------------------------------
 PostgreSQL 8.0.3 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 3.2.3
20030502 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-49)
(1 row)
alter table test alter c1 type varchar(50);

I think in PG, you can:
1. add a new right length column like shown
2. update test set new_column=old_column;
3. alter table drop old_column

>>How can I change the column definition of an existing table, ie. from
>>varchar(30) to varchar(50)? Is there any way to add a new column to
>>an existing table?
>>

>The ALTER TABLE command can do all that.  You need version 8.0 or later

>for some functionality though.

Is there another way to do it in 7.* ?

Re: change existing table definition

От
"Martin Fandel"
Дата:
Aehm sorry. ALTER TABLE is not only in PostgreSQL 8 ;). Only the
datatypes can be changed in postgres 8 (right?). I answered to fast.
I'm sorry.

CREATE TABLE newtable ( "bla" varchar(50));
CREATE INDEX/TRIGGER/... (with different names as the production table)
INSERT INTO newtable (select * from production);
ALTER TABLE production RENAME TO old;
ALTER TABLE newtable RENAME TO production;

If this is working correctly, you can drop the old INDEXES and
rename them.

If its not working correctly

ALTER TABLE production RENAME TO new;
ALTER TABLE old RENAME TO production;

and insert the different data (which is in the oldtable) into the
production table.

Greetings,
Martin

Am Dienstag, den 28.06.2005, 17:29 +0200 schrieb Martin Fandel:
> Hi
>
> ALTER TABLE is only in PostgreSQL 8. But you can create a new table
> with varchar(50) and copy the data from the existing into the new
> table. How much relation_size has your table? Do you create the
> dbsize-functions which are included in the contrib package?
>
> Best regards,
> Martin
>
> Am Dienstag, den 28.06.2005, 10:39 -0400 schrieb Chuming Chen:
> > Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> > >The ALTER TABLE command can do all that.  You need version 8.0 or later
> > >for some functionality though.
> > >

> > Is there another way to do it in 7.* ?

Re: change existing table definition

От
"Martin Fandel"
Дата:
Hi

ALTER TABLE is only in PostgreSQL 8. But you can create a new table
with varchar(50) and copy the data from the existing into the new
table. How much relation_size has your table? Do you create the
dbsize-functions which are included in the contrib package?

Best regards,
Martin

Am Dienstag, den 28.06.2005, 10:39 -0400 schrieb Chuming Chen:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
> >Chuming Chen wrote:
> >

> >>How can I change the column definition of an existing table, ie. from
> >>varchar(30) to varchar(50)? Is there any way to add a new column to
> >>an existing table?
> >>

> >The ALTER TABLE command can do all that.  You need version 8.0 or later
> >for some functionality though.
> >

> Is there another way to do it in 7.* ?

Re: change existing table definition

От
Brad Nicholson
Дата:
Chuming Chen wrote:

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
>> Chuming Chen wrote:
>>

>>> How can I change the column definition of an existing table, ie. from
>>> varchar(30) to varchar(50)? Is there any way to add a new column to
>>> an existing table?
>>>

>> The ALTER TABLE command can do all that.  You need version 8.0 or
>> later for some functionality though.
>>

> Is there another way to do it in 7.* ?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ.html#4.3

Brad Nicholson  416-673-4106

Re: change existing table definition

От
Chuming Chen
Дата:
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply and help. The following is what I find
from google.  Will it work?

A quicker solution would be to use the pg_dump command
to dump the table, change the needed columns and restore
everything.

psql <database> < <dumpfile>

Regards,

Chuming

Martin Fandel wrote:

>Aehm sorry. ALTER TABLE is not only in PostgreSQL 8 ;). Only the
>datatypes can be changed in postgres 8 (right?). I answered to fast.
>I'm sorry.
>
>CREATE TABLE newtable ( "bla" varchar(50));
>CREATE INDEX/TRIGGER/... (with different names as the production table)
>INSERT INTO newtable (select * from production);
>ALTER TABLE production RENAME TO old;
>ALTER TABLE newtable RENAME TO production;
>
>If this is working correctly, you can drop the old INDEXES and
>rename them.
>
>If its not working correctly
>
>ALTER TABLE production RENAME TO new;
>ALTER TABLE old RENAME TO production;
>
>and insert the different data (which is in the oldtable) into the
>production table.
>
>Greetings,
>Martin
>

>Am Dienstag, den 28.06.2005, 17:29 +0200 schrieb Martin Fandel:
>

>>Hi
>>
>>ALTER TABLE is only in PostgreSQL 8. But you can create a new table
>>with varchar(50) and copy the data from the existing into the new
>>table. How much relation_size has your table? Do you create the
>>dbsize-functions which are included in the contrib package?
>>
>>Best regards,
>>Martin

>>>Is there another way to do it in 7.* ?
>>>
>>>---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------

Re: change existing table definition

От
"Martin Fandel"
Дата:
> psql <database> < <dumpfile>

I don't tested this but i think this works.

Be dangerous with the "-c" Option of dump ;). After
the dump was created, new data could be inserted into the
database. If you dump in the file, all dumped tables are
dropped. It's better to RENAME the existing table and then
COPY in the data.

greetings,

Martin

Am Dienstag, den 28.06.2005, 13:26 -0400 schrieb Chuming Chen:
> pgsql-admin@postgresql.org

Re: change existing table definition

От
Chuming Chen