Обсуждение: Can you help me

Can you help me

От
"Talal Mahyoub Abdo"
Дата:
Hi,
I have older version for postgresql 7.2,I want upgread the version
how to upgread postegresql 7.2 to postgresql 8.0

Can ypou help me, Please.

regards
Talal

Re: Can you help me

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 11:45:37 +0300,
  Talal Mahyoub Abdo <tmm@norconsult.com.sa> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have older version for postgresql 7.2,I want upgread the version
> how to upgread postegresql 7.2 to postgresql 8.0

Read the 8.0 release notes.

You are going to want to do a complete dump of your 7.2 databases while
the 7.2 server is running. (If you can, you should use the 8.0 version
of pg_dumpall.) Then once you have got the 8.0 server running, you will
need to reload the databases using psql or pg_restore (depending on which
options you used while running pg_dumpall).

Re: Can you help me

От
Michelle Konzack
Дата:
Am 2005-06-06 11:58:41, schrieb Bruno Wolff III:
> On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 11:45:37 +0300,
>   Talal Mahyoub Abdo <tmm@norconsult.com.sa> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have older version for postgresql 7.2,I want upgread the version
> > how to upgread postegresql 7.2 to postgresql 8.0
>
> Read the 8.0 release notes.
>
> You are going to want to do a complete dump of your 7.2 databases while
> the 7.2 server is running. (If you can, you should use the 8.0 version
> of pg_dumpall.) Then once you have got the 8.0 server running, you will
> need to reload the databases using psql or pg_restore (depending on which
> options you used while running pg_dumpall).

I am using Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 with pgsql 7.4 (backport)
and want to upgrade to SARGE 3.1 and pgsql 8.0

Because I can not upgrade my production system to SARGE,
I need to install SARGE on a new system with pgsql 8.0.

Now, is it possibel to copy only pg_dumpall from SARGE
to the WOODY Server to dump it ?

Please note, that my postgresql AFTER vacumization is
over 120 GByte in size and locates on a Raid-5 Server
with 4 x 147 GByte which mean, I have 420 GByte diskspace.

Greetings
Michelle

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi

Re: Can you help me

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 19:34:24 +0200,
  Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@freenet.de> wrote:

> I am using Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 with pgsql 7.4 (backport)
> and want to upgrade to SARGE 3.1 and pgsql 8.0
>
> Because I can not upgrade my production system to SARGE,
> I need to install SARGE on a new system with pgsql 8.0.
>
> Now, is it possibel to copy only pg_dumpall from SARGE
> to the WOODY Server to dump it ?

You can run pg_dumpall on the new server connecting to the old server.

> Please note, that my postgresql AFTER vacumization is
> over 120 GByte in size and locates on a Raid-5 Server
> with 4 x 147 GByte which mean, I have 420 GByte diskspace.

If you can't afford to be down for the time it will take to dump and
reload 120 GB, you can look at using Slony to help with the conversion.