Обсуждение: isolation level and autocommit

isolation level and autocommit

От
Manfred Rebentisch
Дата:
I have a question to configuration of PostgreSQL 7.3

If in var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf the variable autocommit is set to
true, I cannot work with transactions, because all is commited immediately.

I set autocommit to false and set default_transaction_isolation =
'serializable', because this I need for one application. In this
application I set the following command after connect:

SET SESSION CHARACTERISTICS AS TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE

Its work perfect.

But if I work with phpPgAdmin on the database, I have to use "BEGIN" and
"COMMIT" with every action. Is this changeable? It may be ok for me, if it
is only for the one database, but it is now for every pgsql-database on
this server.

I want to have 'autocommit=true' with the one database and the above
behaviour with the other database. How do I realize that?

Thank you for comments in advance.

Manfred Rebentisch

Re: isolation level and autocommit

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Manfred Rebentisch wrote:
> I want to have 'autocommit=true' with the one database and the above
> behaviour with the other database. How do I realize that?

I suspect you could set it with ALTER DATABASE ... SET autocommit =
true.

But the behavior of autocommit is really confusing and for that reason
the option was removed in 7.4 so you may not want to bother learning
its semantics.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: isolation level and autocommit

От
Manfred Rebentisch
Дата:
Am Samstag, 23. April 2005 11:20 schrieb Peter Eisentraut:
> Manfred Rebentisch wrote:
> > I want to have 'autocommit=true' with the one database and the above
> > behaviour with the other database. How do I realize that?
>
> I suspect you could set it with ALTER DATABASE ... SET autocommit =
> true.
>
> But the behavior of autocommit is really confusing and for that reason
> the option was removed in 7.4 so you may not want to bother learning
> its semantics.

Aah! Thank you for this information! I will have a look to 7.4 and come back,
if I have more questions.

Bye
Manfred