Обсуждение: is this normal?

is this normal?

От
Chuming Chen
Дата:
Dear all,

I have a postgresql database.

"du -ks /var/lib/pgsql/data" gives me the following disk usage
45592808    /var/lib/pgsql/data (about 44G)

But after I did a pg_dump, the dump file only has the size of 5.9 G.

Thank you for your kind reply and comments.

--
Chuming Chen
System Administrator

Re: is this normal?

От
"Lee Wu"
Дата:
How do you do dump? With compressness?
Do you have a lot of dead tuples/index entries?

"du -ks /var/lib/pgsql/data" gives me the following disk usage
45592808    /var/lib/pgsql/data (about 44G)

But after I did a pg_dump, the dump file only has the size of 5.9 G.

Thank you for your kind reply and comments.

--
Chuming Chen
System Administrator
NHLBI Proteomics Center
Medical University of South Carolina
135 Cannon Street, Suite 303
Charleston SC 29425
Tel: 843-792-1555 (O)
Fax: 843-876-1126

Re: is this normal?

От
Jason DiCioccio
Дата:
Greetings,

On Apr 4, 2005 9:27 AM, Chuming Chen <chen@musc.edu> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have a postgresql database.
>
> "du -ks /var/lib/pgsql/data" gives me the following disk usage
> 45592808    /var/lib/pgsql/data (about 44G)
>
> But after I did a pg_dump, the dump file only has the size of 5.9 G.
>
> Thank you for your kind reply and comments.

I'd guess most of this space is going to your indexes.  If you want to
drop the space, I'd drop/recreate the indexes and do a VACUUM FULL.
Note that these can both be intrusive and should be done during a
maintenance period.

Regards,
-JD-

Re: is this normal?

От
Chuming Chen
Lee Wu wrote:

>How do you do dump? With compressness?

I used "pg_dump -o dbname"

>Do you have a lot of dead tuples/index entries?

How can I check this and remove them?