Обсуждение: initdb failed with PostgreSQL 7.4

initdb failed with PostgreSQL 7.4

От
Martin Thoma
Дата:
Dear list

I try to init the DB cluster without success. I am working on a RHEL 4
box and I installed postgresql, postgresql-server and postgresql-jdbc.
For the installation I used up2date and everything went fine.
To init the DB cluster I typed:

[root@zupo bin]# su - postgres
-bash-3.00$ initdb -E latin1 --locale=de_CH --lc-collate=C -D
/var/lib/pgsql/data -W

That results in the following output:
<output>
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locales:
  COLLATE:  C
  CTYPE:    de_CH
  MESSAGES: de_CH
  MONETARY: de_CH
  NUMERIC:  de_CH
  TIME:     de_CH

fixing permissions on existing directory /var/lib/pgsql/data... ok
creating directory /var/lib/pgsql/data/base... ok
creating directory /var/lib/pgsql/data/global... ok
creating directory /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_xlog... ok
creating directory /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_clog... ok
selecting default max_connections... 100
selecting default shared_buffers... 1000
creating configuration files... ok
creating template1 database in /var/lib/pgsql/data/base/1... ok
initializing pg_shadow... ok
Enter new superuser password:
Enter it again:
setting password...
initdb: The password file wasn't generated. Please report this problem.

initdb: failed
</output>

Does anybody as an idea?
Please point me in the right direction! Thanks!

Kind regards
Martin

Re: initdb failed with PostgreSQL 7.4

Дата:
Martin Thoma <mthoma@schlagundrahm.ch> writes:
> I try to init the DB cluster without success. I am working on a RHEL 4
> box and I installed postgresql, postgresql-server and postgresql-jdbc.
> setting password...
> initdb: The password file wasn't generated. Please report this problem.

Do you have SELinux enabled in enforcement mode?  That's been the cause
of most of the initdb failures we've seen reported on RHEL4 and FC3
... though this particular symptom is a new one on me.  If you do,
the best bet is to turn it off (sudo /usr/sbin/setenforce 0) while you
are running initdb.  There is no chance that initdb will work
under SELinux enforcement before postgresql-7.4.7-3, which I don't
think has hit the street for RHEL4 yet.

            regards, tom lane