Обсуждение: ERROR: for SELECT DISTINCT, ORDER BY expressions must appear in select list

ERROR: for SELECT DISTINCT, ORDER BY expressions must appear in select list

От
Gourish Singbal
Дата:
The Query needs to have the distinct clause in the select statement
and the UPPER clause in the order by clause.

eg.
select distinct id, type from user_list order by UPPER(type)

Please let me know if there is any solution to this issue
thanks in advance.
--
Best,
Gourish Singbal

Re: ERROR: for SELECT DISTINCT, ORDER BY expressions must

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Gourish Singbal wrote:

> The Query needs to have the distinct clause in the select statement
> and the UPPER clause in the order by clause.
>
> eg.
> select distinct id, type from user_list order by UPPER(type)
>
> Please let me know if there is any solution to this issue
> thanks in advance.

I think you can break the select distinct into a subselect like
 select * from (select distinct id, type from user_list) a order by
upper(type)

Note, that if you were to ever have two strings that were considered the
same in type but which upper-case differently, the query would give
non-deterministic results.