Обсуждение: Configuration for my server

Configuration for my server

От
Marcin Giedz
Дата:
Hello...

Here is my server hardware configuration: 2x Xeon 1MB Cache 3GHZ + 4GB RAM
basicly it one of Intel Server SR2400 configuration ;) with two Seagate discs
146GB 15k connected with RAID1. I have installed PSQL ver. 8.0 and try to
find best configuration. Nowadys we have about 300 clients connected to mysql
server (we plan to switch to postgresql) but in the future there will be even
1 thousand clients. Can anyone please help me what should I change in
postgresql.conf to achieve very good performance ;)

Thx
Marcin

Re: Configuration for my server

От
Rick Apichairuk
Дата:
I think you should also state what operating system you are using.

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 14:54:46 +0100, Marcin Giedz
<marcin.giedz@eulerhermes.pl> wrote:
> Hello...
>
> Here is my server hardware configuration: 2x Xeon 1MB Cache 3GHZ + 4GB RAM
> basicly it one of Intel Server SR2400 configuration ;) with two Seagate discs
> 146GB 15k connected with RAID1. I have installed PSQL ver. 8.0 and try to
> find best configuration. Nowadys we have about 300 clients connected to mysql
> server (we plan to switch to postgresql) but in the future there will be even
> 1 thousand clients. Can anyone please help me what should I change in
> postgresql.conf to achieve very good performance ;)
>
> Thx
> Marcin

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Configuration for my server

От
Marcin Giedz
Дата:
Dnia czwartek, 24 lutego 2005 15:39, Rick Apichairuk napisał:
> I think you should also state what operating system you are using.

Ohhh Debian Sarge of course ;)

> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 14:54:46 +0100, Marcin Giedz
>
> <marcin.giedz@eulerhermes.pl> wrote:
> > Hello...
> >
> > Here is my server hardware configuration: 2x Xeon 1MB Cache 3GHZ + 4GB
> > RAM basicly it one of Intel Server SR2400 configuration ;) with two
> > Seagate discs 146GB 15k connected with RAID1. I have installed PSQL ver.
> > 8.0 and try to find best configuration. Nowadys we have about 300 clients
> > connected to mysql server (we plan to switch to postgresql) but in the
> > future there will be even 1 thousand clients. Can anyone please help me
> > what should I change in postgresql.conf to achieve very good performance
> > ;)
> >
> > Thx
> > Marcin

Re: Configuration for my server

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 07:54, Marcin Giedz wrote:
> Hello...
>
> Here is my server hardware configuration: 2x Xeon 1MB Cache 3GHZ + 4GB RAM
> basicly it one of Intel Server SR2400 configuration ;) with two Seagate discs
> 146GB 15k connected with RAID1. I have installed PSQL ver. 8.0 and try to
> find best configuration. Nowadys we have about 300 clients connected to mysql
> server (we plan to switch to postgresql) but in the future there will be even
> 1 thousand clients. Can anyone please help me what should I change in
> postgresql.conf to achieve very good performance ;)

Firstly, read this document:

http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/perf.html

It's generally considered one of the better tuning guides for
PotsgreSQL.

Secondly, if your database is going to handle a fair bit of writing then
make sure your RAID controller has battery backed cache on it.  With 300
to 1000 users, and 5% or so writing, this isn't an option, it's a
requirement.  :)

On a fast machine with lots of memory, it often pays to drop
random_page_cost to 1.2 to 1.4 or so.

Mount your file system noatime