Обсуждение: Task manager fails to terminate postmaster process.

Task manager fails to terminate postmaster process.

От
Geoffrey Ducharme
Дата:
Hi everyone, I'm new to PostgreSQL administration. I hope the people
here will have some ideas to help me out.

My current situation is that I am moving my database across machines
without access to network. It would be possible, but more difficult to
install a network.

I understand that the recommanded way to make a back up is to shut
down the postmaster and related process, then copy the files. This
worked fine on the donor machine. (Windows XP SP2 postgresql 8.0.1)

I grabbed the file to send them to the receiving machine (Win 2000) On
this one, however, I had a problem. The Task Manager does not allow me
to shut off the postmaster process. Specificaly the error message
says:"Unable to terminate process, the requested operation could not
be completed. Access is denied".

My impression is that such an error message wold only happen on system
critical process.

So, what is the problem? Is this the right path to migration? Would
installing the network a be a better solution?

Wondering,

Geoffrey

Re: Task manager fails to terminate postmaster process.

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Geoffrey Ducharme wrote:
> Hi everyone, I'm new to PostgreSQL administration. I hope the people
> here will have some ideas to help me out.
>
> My current situation is that I am moving my database across machines
> without access to network. It would be possible, but more difficult to
> install a network.
>
> I understand that the recommanded way to make a back up is to shut
> down the postmaster and related process, then copy the files. This
> worked fine on the donor machine. (Windows XP SP2 postgresql 8.0.1)
>
> I grabbed the file to send them to the receiving machine (Win 2000) On
> this one, however, I had a problem. The Task Manager does not allow me
> to shut off the postmaster process. Specificaly the error message
> says:"Unable to terminate process, the requested operation could not
> be completed. Access is denied".

It sounds like you are trying to shut down the service without being an
administrator or the owner of PostgreSQL?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> My impression is that such an error message wold only happen on system
> critical process.
>
> So, what is the problem? Is this the right path to migration? Would
> installing the network a be a better solution?
>
> Wondering,
>
> Geoffrey

Command Prompt, Inc., your source for PostgreSQL replication,
professional support, programming, managed services, shared
and dedicated hosting. Home of the Open Source Projects plPHP,
plPerlNG, pgManage,  and pgPHPtoolkit.
Contact us now at: +1-503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com

Вложения

Re: Task manager fails to terminate postmaster process.

От
Geoffrey Ducharme
Дата:
Thanks for the tip. I tried logging in as the service and I managed to
shut down the service.

I also saw how I had originally misconfigured the system. Since not
all accounts are stored in the same place, I had to dig in a little
deeper to grab the old, wrong account. From there, reinstalling
Postgresql, "dump"ing from the XP machine and migrating was a snap.

Thank you again,

Geoffrey