Обсуждение: Single User mode

Single User mode

От
Theo Galanakis

I was curious if there was a better way of killing the "postgres" process? I needed to place out DB in single user mode Using "postgres". Once I had finished and exited "postgres", I could not start up "pg_ctl" the database as postgres was still running. Is there a elequant way then just using : kill -9 [#postgres-pid#]?

Theo

This email, including attachments, is intended only for the addressee
and may be confidential, privileged and subject to copyright. If you
have received this email in error, please advise the sender and delete
it. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must not
use, copy or disclose its content to anyone. You must not copy or
communicate to others content that is confidential or subject to
copyright, unless you have the consent of the content owner.

Re: Single User mode

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Theo Galanakis wrote:

> I was curious if there was a better way of killing the "postgres"
> process? I needed to place out DB in single user mode Using
> "postgres". Once I had finished and exited "postgres", I could not
> start up "pg_ctl" the database as postgres was still running. Is there
> a elequant way then just using : kill -9 [#postgres-pid#]?

-TERM

> Theo

> This email, including attachments, is intended only for the addressee
> and may be confidential, privileged and subject to copyright. If you
> have received this email in error, please advise the sender and delete
> it. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must not
> use, copy or disclose its content to anyone. You must not copy or
> communicate to others content that is confidential or subject to
> copyright, unless you have the consent of the content owner.

Re: Single User mode

От
Theo Galanakis

The heart of the matter was that I did not exit postgres correctly using Ctl-D. It still kept postgres alive.

Theo

--
Command Prompt, Inc., home of Mammoth PostgreSQL - S/ODBC and S/JDBC Postgresql support, programming shared hosting and dedicated hosting.

Re: Single User mode

От
Gourish Singbal
Дата:
Theo,

kill -9 [#postgres-pid#]? might be harmful to your database use one of
the below comands to shutsdown ur database when there are clients
connected and u want to shutdown ur server:-

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -m smart stop
#Waits for all users to logout (Oracle analagous to Shutdown)
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -m fast stop
# All active transactions get rolled back (Oracle analagous to
shutdown transactional)
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -D data -m immediate stop
#Waits # Immediate shutdown will need recovery next time up (Oracle
analoguos shutdown abort)

Reffrence:-  http://www.osmosislatina.com/postgres/part2_2.htm

Best
Gourish