Обсуждение: archive is compressed - any data will not be available

archive is compressed - any data will not be available

От
"Iain"
Дата:
Hi All,

I'm hoping that soemone can explain this error message to me and give me an
idea of how to proceed.

I was given a set of 3 dump files (in a tar.gz archive) generated by a 7.1
DB that I'm trying to import into another 7.1 DB. 2 of the files (the
smaller ones) restore no problems, but one gives the above mentioned
message. As far as I know all 3 dumps were supposed to have been performed
using the same options (this might not be the case, but I can't tell for
now).

Following are a couple examples of the output:

[postgres@mst0001 1210]$ pg_restore --list orig_main.dump > orig.list
Archiver: WARNING - archive is compressed - any data will not be available
[postgres@mst0001 1210]$ pg_restore  orig_main.dump > orig.dump
Archiver: WARNING - archive is compressed - any data will not be available

Archiver: ******** WARNING ********
        Data restoration may fail since any defined triggers
        can not be disabled (no superuser username specified).
        This is only a problem for restoration into a database
        with triggers already defined.

Archiver: Unable to restore data from a compressed archive

The list is generated fine, and restore proceeds until the first data load
before failing.

pg_restore --help doesn't give me any clues as to other options that I
should try.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Iain

Re: archive is compressed - any data will not be available

Дата:
"Iain" <iain@mst.co.jp> writes:
> I was given a set of 3 dump files (in a tar.gz archive) generated by a 7.1
> DB that I'm trying to import into another 7.1 DB. 2 of the files (the
> smaller ones) restore no problems, but one gives the above mentioned
> message.

Apparently you are trying to load into a server compiled with different
options --- specifically, the destination software was built without zlib
and so has no ability to read (nor create) compressed archives.

Your choices are to go back to the source DB and tell pg_dump to dump
without compression, or to rebuild the destination DB with zlib
available.

I think, but wouldn't entirely swear to it, that zlib is only used in
pg_dump/pg_restore, so it might be sufficient to rebuild those two
programs and not the whole Postgresql suite.

            regards, tom lane

Re: archive is compressed - any data will not be available

От
"Iain"
Дата:
Hi,

Thanks for that. It seems that you were right.

We used pg_restore to create a plain text dump file on the original machine
and brought that down to the other machine which worked fine.

regards
Iain