Обсуждение: 7.3.4 -> 7.3.8 - a little stuck

7.3.4 -> 7.3.8 - a little stuck

От
Дата:
Hello,

I was using 7.3.4 and decided to upgrade to 7.3.8.  I did this via RPMs
for RH9.  RPM installed OK, and the migration of data looks like it
worked.

I have one remaining problem:  I can start the DB with `pg_ctl -D
/var/lib/pgsql/data start', but I cannot start it with
`/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start'.  The error I get is the same one
that I was getting before I 'upgraded' the data:

"An old version of the database format was found.\nYou need to upgrade
the data format before using PostgreSQL.\nSee (Your System's
documentation directory)/postgresql-7.4/README.rpm-dist for more
information."

Does anyone know what I could do to get this to work?

Also:
Although I upgraded to 7.3.8, I saw several incorrect(?) references to
7.4 (e.g. PGVERSION=7.4 in that init script).  Mistakes?  Should I just
be upgrading to the latest 7.4.* version instead?

To migrate/upgrade the data after the DB install, I followed these
directions:
  http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/migration.html

However, I also had to recreate the user (createuser) and the DB itself
(createdb).  Is this normal, or did I do something wrong?

Thank you,
Otis

Re: 7.3.4 -> 7.3.8 - a little stuck

Дата:
<ogjunk-pgjedan@yahoo.com> writes:
> Although I upgraded to 7.3.8, I saw several incorrect(?) references to
> 7.4 (e.g. PGVERSION=7.4 in that init script).  Mistakes?

Yes ... yours.  You may have thought you updated to 7.3.8, but you
evidently installed 7.4.something.

            regards, tom lane

Re: 7.3.4 -> 7.3.8 - a little stuck

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:

Re: 7.3.4 -> 7.3.8 - a little stuck

От
Дата:
Hello,

--- Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> <ogjunk-pgjedan@yahoo.com> writes:
> > Although I upgraded to 7.3.8, I saw several incorrect(?) references
> > 7.4 (e.g. PGVERSION=7.4 in that init script).  Mistakes?
>
> Yes ... yours.  You may have thought you updated to 7.3.8, but you
> evidently installed 7.4.something.

I double-checked and it looks like I installed 7.3.8, just like I
intended:

$ rpm -qa | grep postg
postgresql-tcl-7.3.8-2PGDG
postgresql-libs-7.3.8-2PGDG
postgresql-7.3.8-2PGDG
postgresql-jdbc-7.3.8-2PGDG
postgresql-server-7.3.8-2PGDG
postgresql-pl-7.3.8-2PGDG
postgresql-python-7.3.8-2PGDG
postgresql-contrib-7.3.8-2PGDG

Could be a mistake in the RPM, no?

Otis

Re: 7.3.4 -> 7.3.8 - a little stuck

От
Дата:
Aha! :)
No problem Devrim - I did this last night and everything worked.  The
init script must be from the 7.4.* versions, because there are also
changelog-type messages mentioning 7.4.* in there.

Otis