Обсуждение: pgsql database .1 .2 .3 file names

pgsql database .1 .2 .3 file names

От
Bryan Biggers
Дата:
Can anyone tell me what the data file names with the .1 .2 .3 etc.
extensions are? Are these undo versions of my tables or something? I
need to recover some disk space and I'm wondering if I need them. Here
is an example...
-rw-------    1 postgres postgres 1073741824 Oct 18 20:01 19523580
-rw-------    1 postgres postgres 1073741824 Sep  6 20:11 19523580.1
-rw-------    1 postgres postgres 1073741824 Sep  6 20:11 19523580.2
-rw-------    1 postgres postgres 1073741824 Sep  6 20:11 19523580.3
-rw-------    1 postgres postgres 1073741824 Sep  6 20:11 19523580.4
-rw-------    1 postgres postgres 1073741824 Oct  6 20:19 19523580.5
-rw-------    1 postgres postgres 629948416 Oct 19 12:33 19523580.6

Thanks, Bryan

Re: pgsql database .1 .2 .3 file names

От
Rosser Schwarz
Дата:
while you weren't looking, Bryan Biggers wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what the data file names with the .1 .2 .3 etc.
> extensions are? Are these undo versions of my tables or something? I
> need to recover some disk space and I'm wondering if I need them.

Delete them at your peril.

Really quickly, what does 1073741824 / 1024 / 1024 / 1024 equal?

Data files are partitioned at 1GiB boundaries; deleting one of those
files would blow away roughly 1/7 of whichever table has an OID of
19523580.

/rls

--
:wq

Re: pgsql database .1 .2 .3 file names

Дата:
Bryan Biggers <bbiggers@tds.net> writes:
> Can anyone tell me what the data file names with the .1 .2 .3 etc.
> extensions are? Are these undo versions of my tables or something? I
> need to recover some disk space and I'm wondering if I need them.

You will be very very unhappy if you remove those files (or anything
else underneath $PGDATA).  What you have there is just a 7-gig table.
We split large tables into 1Gb segments for portability reasons.

If you think that there's a lot of wasted space within the files, you
might find it profitable to use (some combination of) VACUUM FULL,
CLUSTER, or REINDEX.

            regards, tom lane

Re: pgsql database .1 .2 .3 file names

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Bryan Biggers wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what the data file names with the .1 .2 .3 etc.
> extensions are? Are these undo versions of my tables or something? I
> need to recover some disk space and I'm wondering if I need them. Here
> is an example...
> -rw-------    1 postgres postgres 1073741824 Oct 18 20:01 19523580
> -rw-------    1 postgres postgres 1073741824 Sep  6 20:11 19523580.1
> -rw-------    1 postgres postgres 1073741824 Sep  6 20:11 19523580.2
> -rw-------    1 postgres postgres 1073741824 Sep  6 20:11 19523580.3
> -rw-------    1 postgres postgres 1073741824 Sep  6 20:11 19523580.4
> -rw-------    1 postgres postgres 1073741824 Oct  6 20:19 19523580.5
> -rw-------    1 postgres postgres 629948416 Oct 19 12:33 19523580.6

Those are further extents of the table after 1G.  The table gets broken to
try to prevent running into any issues with >=2G files.

Re: pgsql database .1 .2 .3 file names

От
Christopher Browne
Дата:
The world rejoiced as bbiggers@tds.net (Bryan Biggers) wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what the data file names with the .1 .2 .3
> etc. extensions are? Are these undo versions of my tables or
> something? I need to recover some disk space and I'm wondering if I
> need them. Here is an example...
> -rw-------    1 postgres postgres 1073741824 Oct 18 20:01 19523580
> -rw-------    1 postgres postgres 1073741824 Sep  6 20:11 19523580.1
> -rw-------    1 postgres postgres 1073741824 Sep  6 20:11 19523580.2
> -rw-------    1 postgres postgres 1073741824 Sep  6 20:11 19523580.3
> -rw-------    1 postgres postgres 1073741824 Sep  6 20:11 19523580.4
> -rw-------    1 postgres postgres 1073741824 Oct  6 20:19 19523580.5
> -rw-------    1 postgres postgres 629948416 Oct 19 12:33 19523580.6

You might just want to keep those files.

They're the data for some table that evidently occupies about 6.5GB of
space.

It's _possible_ that the table needs vacuuming, in which case some of
that space might be reclaimed.  But you'd best do that using VACUUM.
Deleting files would be expected to amount to destroying about a GB
apiece of the data in the table...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="acm.org" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/internet.html