Обсуждение: Porting from MS SQL Server to PostGres

Porting from MS SQL Server to PostGres

От
pwbyrne@hotmail.com
Дата:
Hi,

I'm looking for details, or tools about porting a full Ms Sql Server
2000 database to Postgres on Linux.

Is this possible?  We have the whole nine yards, stored procedures,
triggers, and all.

Is there a way to automate this process?

Thanks

Re: Porting from MS SQL Server to PostGres

От
"Goulet, Dick"
Дата:
Given the "fun" I've had with Sql*Server and it's sister Access, you'd be much better off porting things manually.  I'd
precreateall of the tables/indexes and then move the data with the aid of Access or a similar ODBC tool.  As for the
rest,re-write it as Tsql is more like VB than pgplsql.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA

I'm looking for details, or tools about porting a full Ms Sql Server
2000 database to Postgres on Linux.

Is this possible?  We have the whole nine yards, stored procedures,
triggers, and all.

Is there a way to automate this process?

Thanks

Re: Porting from MS SQL Server to PostGres

От
Rosser Schwarz
Дата:
while you weren't looking, Goulet, Dick wrote:

>  I'd precreate all of the tables/indexes and then move the data...

If you have a lot of data, it's probably better to punt on creating
the indices until after you've moved the data.  Bulk populating
indexed tables, particularly if the table has more than just the
primary key index, can be awfully slow.  At one point, we tried
dumping several million tuples into a table with a dozen-odd indices.
Only did that once.

/rls

--
:wq