Обсуждение: changing the size of a varchar column

changing the size of a varchar column

От
Warren Little
Дата:
Hello,
Does pg7.4.x support resizing a varchar column
ie varchar(30) -> varchar(200)

If not does the feature in 8.0 relating to changing column types support this?

thx

--
Warren Little
Senior Vice President

Re: changing the size of a varchar column

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 10:45, Warren Little wrote:
> Hello,
> Does pg7.4.x support resizing a varchar column
> ie varchar(30) -> varchar(200)

No, but some folks have done it by hacking the catalogs.  not
recommended, make a backup, etc...

> If not does the feature in 8.0 relating to changing column types
> support this?

Yes.

Re: changing the size of a varchar column

От
Tsirkin Evgeny
Дата:
Maybe you already know this but the solution is to create a new
table with varchar(200) copy to it the data from the old one.
Then drop the old one and recreate with varchar(200) then copy
the data back from the tmp table.
Again you probably know all this ,just trying to help...

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Scott Marlowe wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 10:45, Warren Little wrote:
> > Hello,
> > Does pg7.4.x support resizing a varchar column
> > ie varchar(30) -> varchar(200)
>
> No, but some folks have done it by hacking the catalogs.  not
> recommended, make a backup, etc...
>
> > If not does the feature in 8.0 relating to changing column types
> > support this?
>
> Yes.

Evgeny.