Обсуждение: backups and WAL

backups and WAL

От
pablobarbachano@yahoo.es
Дата:
Hi, first of all thanks for postgresql, it has never given a problem
and is performing great.

Now my question: my employer wants to do backups every 12 hours, and
save the logs evry 2 hours to... Can I simply save the logs
(cp pg_xlog/* ...) or do I need something more elaborate?

Now in a restore situation ... I restore the database, and then what?
put the saved files back in the pg_xlog/ dir, then start postmaster
and magically all starts working? Am I correct or completely insane?
The documentation is not clear in that aspect...

Thanks in advance,
Pablo.

Re: backups and WAL

От
Gaetano Mendola
Дата:
pablobarbachano@yahoo.es wrote:

> Hi, first of all thanks for postgresql, it has never given a problem
> and is performing great.
>
> Now my question: my employer wants to do backups every 12 hours, and
> save the logs evry 2 hours to... Can I simply save the logs
> (cp pg_xlog/* ...) or do I need something more elaborate?
>
> Now in a restore situation ... I restore the database, and then what?
> put the saved files back in the pg_xlog/ dir, then start postmaster
> and magically all starts working? Am I correct or completely insane?
> The documentation is not clear in that aspect...

I suppose that you use a pre 8.0 version, if yes take a look at:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/backup.html

take also a look at PITR available in the future ( near I hope :-) )
8.0:

http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/backup-online.html

Regards
Gaetano Mendola

Re: backups and WAL

От
G u i d o B a r o s i o
Дата:
On this issue,

   Is a good idea to ln -s the pg_xlog directory onto another place, while the postmaster is running?

    I agree with pablo, documentation at this point is not easy to found.

Regards,

> pablobarbachano@yahoo.es wrote:
>
> > Hi, first of all thanks for postgresql, it has never given a problem
> > and is performing great.
> >
> > Now my question: my employer wants to do backups every 12 hours, and
> > save the logs evry 2 hours to... Can I simply save the logs
> > (cp pg_xlog/* ...) or do I need something more elaborate?
> >
> > Now in a restore situation ... I restore the database, and then what?
> > put the saved files back in the pg_xlog/ dir, then start postmaster
> > and magically all starts working? Am I correct or completely insane?
> > The documentation is not clear in that aspect...
>
> I suppose that you use a pre 8.0 version, if yes take a look at:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/backup.html
>

> take also a look at PITR available in the future ( near I hope :-) )
> 8.0:
>
> http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/backup-online.html
>

> Regards
> Gaetano Mendola

Re: backups and WAL

От
Gaetano Mendola
Дата:

Re: backups and WAL

От
G u i d o B a r o s i o
Дата:
What I meant(And I guess that Pablo asked for this also), was that is not easy to found information or howto work on
thepg_xlog directory.

I didn't take it as "read the FINE manual" anyway ;)

Regards,
Guido

Re: backups and WAL

Дата:
pablobarbachano@yahoo.es writes:
> Now my question: my employer wants to do backups every 12 hours, and
> save the logs evry 2 hours to... Can I simply save the logs
> (cp pg_xlog/* ...) or do I need something more elaborate?

You can't realistically do this in any pre-8.0 release; it's perhaps
doable in theory but there are too many gotchas to consider it a
trustworthy backup technique.

8.0 will have real support for log-based backup.  Feel free to try out a
beta --- we could use more people testing this feature.

            regards, tom lane