Обсуждение: Re: [PHP] Secure DB Systems - How to

Re: [PHP] Secure DB Systems - How to

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 11:49:36 -0400,
  Sarah Tanembaum <sarahtanembaum@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I was wondering if it is possible to create a secure database system
> usingPostgreSQL/PHP combination?
>
> I have the following in mind:
>
> I wanted to store all my( and my brothers and sisters) important document
> information such as birth certificate, SSN, passport number, travel
> documents, insurance(car, home, etc) document, and other important documents
> imagined in the database.
>
> The data will be entered either manually and/or scanned(with OCR). I need to
> be able to search on all the fields in the database.
>
> We have 10 computers(5bros, 4sisters, and myself) plus 1 server with I
> maintained. The data should be synchronize/replicate between those
> computers.
>
> Well, so far it is easy, isn't it?
>
> Here's my question:
>
> a) How can I make sure that it secure so only authorized person can
> modify/add/delete the information? Beside transaction logs, are there any
> other method to trace any transaction(kind of paper trail)?

Keeping the system administrator from seeing the data while making it
searchable is difficult. To do this you need to encrypt the data on
the client side using a key the client has (and this key has to be
protected from loss) and the only searches you can do are equality
searches using a hash or encrypted value.

The system administrator can always delete the data.

If you store which user has access to a row in the row, you can use views
to control access to the rows for people other than  the system administrator.

> b) How can I make sure that no one can tap the info while we are entering
> the data in the computer? (our family are scattered within US and Canada)

Use SSL.

> c) Is it possible to securely synchronize/replicate between our computers
> using VPN? Does PostgreSQL has this functionality by default?

Probably the best thing here is to run one live server and make backups
of the system that you store at your relatives along with instructions
for recovering them if something happens to you. Probably the backups
should be encrypted with either the keys in your safe deposit box or
using a system where something like 3 out of 5 keys can be used to recover
the backup files. Be sure to test the backup recovery.

Re: [PHP] Secure DB Systems - How to

От
Daniel Struck
Дата:
> Keeping the system administrator from seeing the data while making it
> searchable is difficult. To do this you need to encrypt the data on
> the client side using a key the client has (and this key has to be
> protected from loss) and the only searches you can do are equality
> searches using a hash or encrypted value.

You can also perform regex searches.

Here is an example to get you started:

CREATE TABLE crypto (
id                 SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
title              VARCHAR(50),
crypted_content    BYTEA
);

INSERT INTO  crypto VALUES (1,'test1',encrypt_iv('daniel','fooz',decode('9MlPeZtpuxKo5m4O4+pd4g==','base64'),'aes'));
INSERT INTO  crypto VALUES (2,'test2',encrypt_iv('test','fooz',decode('9MlPeZtpuxKo5m4O4+pd4g==','base64'),'aes'));
INSERT INTO  crypto VALUES (3,'test3',encrypt_iv('struck','fooz',decode('9MlPeZtpuxKo5m4O4+pd4g==','base64'),'aes'));

SELECT *,decrypt_iv(crypted_content, 'fooz',decode('9MlPeZtpuxKo5m4O4+pd4g==','base64'), 'aes') FROM crypto;

-- equality search
SELECT *,decrypt_iv(crypted_content,'fooz',decode('9MlPeZtpuxKo5m4O4+pd4g==','base64'),'aes')
FROM crypto WHERE decrypt_iv(crypted_content, 'fooz',decode('9MlPeZtpuxKo5m4O4+pd4g==','base64'), 'aes')='struck';

-- regex search
SELECT *,decrypt_iv(crypted_content,'fooz',decode('9MlPeZtpuxKo5m4O4+pd4g==','base64'),'aes')
FROM crypto WHERE encode(decrypt_iv(crypted_content, 'fooz',decode('9MlPeZtpuxKo5m4O4+pd4g==','base64'),
'aes'),'escape')
~* 'daniel';

"fooz" is the password and "9MlPeZtpuxKo5m4O4+pd4g==" is the IV (initialization vector) stored in base64 format. I
choosebase64 because it is more convenient to create queries with it.

In the real database I do use a different IV for every row, so I do also store the IV with the row.
In my case I do generate the IV by PHP with /dev/urandom as a random source.

Greetings,

Daniel Struck

--
Retrovirology Laboratory Luxembourg
Centre Hospitalier de Luxembourg

phone: +352-44116105
fax:   +352-44116113
web: http://www.retrovirology.lu
e-mail: struck.d@retrovirology.lu

Re: [PHP] Secure DB Systems - How to

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 11:35:57 +0200,
  Daniel Struck <struck.d@retrovirology.lu> wrote:
> > Keeping the system administrator from seeing the data while making it
> > searchable is difficult. To do this you need to encrypt the data on
> > the client side using a key the client has (and this key has to be
> > protected from loss) and the only searches you can do are equality
> > searches using a hash or encrypted value.
>
> You can also perform regex searches.

If you decrypt the data on the database, the sysadmin can see it.
If you are willing to take that chance (e.g. if you primary concern is
some third party getting a snapshot of the DB), then you can do lots of
things.

Re: [PHP] Secure DB Systems - How to

От
Daniel Struck
Дата:
> If you decrypt the data on the database, the sysadmin can see it.

Hm, you are right. If one does decrypt the data on the database you have to sent the password to postgresql and so a
administratorof the database could easily grasb the password.

So the only way to go, would be to perform en/decryption on the client side?

> If you are willing to take that chance (e.g. if you primary concern is
> some third party getting a snapshot of the DB), then you can do lots of
> things.

I wonder now; if somebody could achieve to get a snapshot of the database, they could also be able to get the log-file
ofpostgresql.
So one would also have to make attention that the information like sql statements don't leak that way.
Are there other places where this kind of information could leak?

Greetings,

Daniel Struck

--
Retrovirology Laboratory Luxembourg
Centre Hospitalier de Luxembourg
4, rue E. Barblé
L-1210 Luxembourg

phone: +352-44116105
fax:   +352-44116113
web: http://www.retrovirology.lu
e-mail: struck.d@retrovirology.lu

Re: [PHP] Secure DB Systems - How to

От
Mitch Pirtle
Дата:
Daniel Struck wrote:

>>If you decrypt the data on the database, the sysadmin can see it.
>>

>Hm, you are right. If one does decrypt the data on the database you have to sent the password to postgresql and so a
administratorof the database could easily grasb the password.

>So the only way to go, would be to perform en/decryption on the client side?

Exactly.  That is the only way to ensure that the data is never
decrypted within the database or database server.

Now, the 'client' IMHO is the PHP application.  If the key for your
encryption is stored in the user's session (on the webserver
temporarily) then there is no log of that key or data (unless you store
the session data in the database, then you got problems, see below).

I'm starting an article on doing just this for International PHP
Magazine, and of course will use PostgreSQL as the back-end ;-)

>I wonder now; if somebody could achieve to get a snapshot of the database, they could also be able to get the log-file
ofpostgresql.
>So one would also have to make attention that the information like sql statements don't leak that way.
>Are there other places where this kind of information could leak?

If you wanted the key based on each user, then you could use their
password (which is typically stored in an MD5 hash) as the key for
encryption/decryption, and put it in the session for use by the
application while they are logged in.  This is the easiest (and most
effective, IMHO) way to keep the encryption at the user level, and keep
the data in the database encrypted at all times.  Basically every record
would be encrypted with the key for the user associated with that
record, and there's a lot of work for anyone with a snapshot who is
working on brute forcing all that data row by row...  :)

The only time that data is not encrypted is on the webserver, and only
during transmission of that data back to the client.  SSL would be the
most common approach to solving this problem.

My absolute favourite DB layer for PHP is ADOdb, which also has a class
that transparently stores your session data in the database (if
desired).  This is crucial for sites that have multiple webservers and
load balancers, as your session data needs to be accessible from the
webserver that you are currently at.

The problem here is that the key for each user would also be stored in
the database if this method were used, rendering your efforts pointless!

OTOH, using the default storage of session data would put all the user
keys in temp files on the hard drives of the webservers.  Not only does
this not scale well (as you have to tell pound or LocalDirector or
whatever load balancer you use to stick each user to the primary
server), but some would consider this absolutely not-acceptable, as any
administrator on the servers could see that data.  So I suppose you have
to pick your poison on this one.

I gotta figure this out so I can start writing ;^P

-- Mitch