Обсуждение: cross databases?

cross databases?

От
Jodi Kanter
Дата:
I am working with someone who uses MySQL and says that he has two separate databases in which he can query across. I am curious if that is something that can be done in postgres?
Any comments on whether or not that is a good thing?
Thanks
Jodi Kanter
--

_______________________________
Jodi L Kanter

Re: cross databases?

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:

Re: cross databases?

От
Hilary Forbes
Дата:
I have often wanted to do this.  Years ago, when I was working with Sybase databases it was perfectly possible.  You
simplyqualified the table name with a database identifier as I recall eg <br /><br /> SELECT m.myfield from
second_db.mytablem;<br /><br /> The advantages are that you may have two otherwise unconnected systems which need
separatelybacking up etc but where one uses the other for lookup purposes (eg a reservations system uses a lookup to an
accountssystem to get the customer name and number).  <br /><br /> I have never understood why postgreSQL hasn't seen
thisas a priority in development in more recent months.  Maybe someone will enlighten us both!<br /><br /> Hilary<br
workingwith someone who uses MySQL and says that he has two separate databases in which he can query across. I am
curiousif that is something that can be done in postgres? <br /> Any comments on whether or not that is a good
registeredtrade mark of DMR Limited<br /> **********************************************************

Re: cross databases?

От
Oliver Elphick
Дата:
On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 16:34, Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, Jodi Kanter wrote:
>
> > I am working with someone who uses MySQL and says that he has two
> > separate databases in which he can query across. I am curious if that is
> > something that can be done in postgres?
>
> Yes, it's possible with PostgreSQL.
>
> See contrib/dblink.

But a more convenient alternative is to use schemas, which MySQL does
not (I think) support.

Oliver Elphick

Re: cross databases?

От
Mike Rylander
Дата:
<posted & mailed>

Jodi Kanter wrote:

> I am working with someone who uses MySQL and says that he has two
> separate databases in which he can query across. I am curious if that is
> something that can be done in postgres?

Postgresql implements SQL standard SCHEMAs which, depending on your exact
needs, may serve the same purpose.  The other option is the
'contrib/dblink' module.

> Any comments on whether or not that is a good thing?

In my opinion, SCHEMAs are a beter way than multiple databases to deal with
multiple logical datasets that you want to query across.

--miker