Обсуждение: out of memory error

out of memory error

От
Adi Alurkar
Дата:
Greetings,

During testing of our application we  ran into  a very odd error:

very randomly during the test the postgresql log file showed a "ERROR:
53200: out of memory"
we changed the logging configuration to log statements causing errors
and found the error to be caused by a SELECT,

here is the relevant info from postgresql log file :

ERROR:  53200: out of memory
DETAIL:  Failed on request of size 188
LOCATION:  AllocSetAlloc, aset.c:700

Interestingly the box did not OOM (i.e nothing in /var/log/messages)
running RHAS3 with PG 7.4.2

-bash-2.05b$ id
uid=26(postgres) gid=26(postgres) groups=26(postgres)
-bash-2.05b$ psql -V
psql (PostgreSQL) 7.4.2
contains support for command-line editing
-bash-2.05b$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 3 (Taroon)
-bash-2.05b$ ulimit -a
core file size        (blocks, -c) unlimited
data seg size         (kbytes, -d) unlimited
file size             (blocks, -f) unlimited
max locked memory     (kbytes, -l) 4
max memory size       (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files                    (-n) 1024
pipe size          (512 bytes, -p) 8
stack size            (kbytes, -s) 10240
cpu time             (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes            (-u) 7168
virtual memory        (kbytes, -v) unlimited

This happens randomly, when the failing  SELECT was run via psql it
executed w/o error.

Any suggestions on how this can be debugged?

-Adi

Re: out of memory error

От
"Jie Liang"
Дата:
I had a similar problem after upgrade to 7.4.2,
Try:
SET enable_hashagg = false;
Before you execute that SELECT stmt
If you don't want disable it in postgresql.conf

Jie Liang

[...]

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: out of memory error

От
Naomi Walker
Jie Liang wrote:

Does 7.3* support this?  Can you tell me a bit more about it, please?
Hash aggregate..?

>I had a similar problem after upgrade to 7.4.2,
>Try:
>SET enable_hashagg = false;
>Before you execute that SELECT stmt
>If you don't want disable it in postgresql.conf
>
>Jie Liang

-- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE --

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain
informationthat is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the
intendedaddressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use,
copy,disclose or distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received
thismessage in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email, and delete the message. Thank you.