Обсуждение: What is safe to exclude when doing a UFS backup?

What is safe to exclude when doing a UFS backup?

От
Marty Scholes
Дата:
We are running a tiny (< 1GB) Pg installation, but are starting to
migrate over our production Oracle apps.

We run a daily Oracle dump and a daily Pg dump to /var/tmp, keeping the
most recent four versions of each.

Nightly, we have Veritas Netbackup backup the whole filesystem to a tape
library.

Currently, the Oracle data directory (which also has the redo logs) is
excluded from the UFS backup as those datafiles are 100 GB and are
completely useless in a restore.

I have not excluded the Pg data files since I don't know what is safe to
exclude and the files are very small.

As we migrate apps and the Pg install grows, we will need to exclude
those data files.

Which directories/files are safe to exclude from the UFS backup?  In
other words, what files can Pg live without and still get off the ground
far enough to restore from a pg_dump?

Thanks in advance,
Marty

Re: What is safe to exclude when doing a UFS backup?

Дата:
Marty Scholes wrote:
> We are running a tiny (< 1GB) Pg installation, but are starting to
> migrate over our production Oracle apps.
>
> We run a daily Oracle dump and a daily Pg dump to /var/tmp, keeping the
> most recent four versions of each.
>
> Nightly, we have Veritas Netbackup backup the whole filesystem to a tape
> library.
>
> Currently, the Oracle data directory (which also has the redo logs) is
> excluded from the UFS backup as those datafiles are 100 GB and are
> completely useless in a restore.
>
> I have not excluded the Pg data files since I don't know what is safe to
> exclude and the files are very small.
>
> As we migrate apps and the Pg install grows, we will need to exclude
> those data files.
>
> Which directories/files are safe to exclude from the UFS backup?  In
> other words, what files can Pg live without and still get off the ground
> far enough to restore from a pg_dump?

You need to back up all the files in /data, but none of the subdirectories.

We should make this easier to do someday.

Re: What is safe to exclude when doing a UFS backup?

От
Marty Scholes
Дата:
Bruce,