Обсуждение: "IDENT authentication failed" but I'm not using ident

"IDENT authentication failed" but I'm not using ident

От
Nico De Ranter
Дата:
Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade postgres to 7.4.2. I've dumped the
database on 7.2.1 but when I try to recreate it by doing

  psql -e template1 <db.sql

as user 'postgres', I get

DELETE FROM pg_shadow WHERE usesysid <> (SELECT datdba FROM pg_database
WHERE datname = 'template0');
DELETE 15
CREATE USER "ids" WITH SYSID 103 PASSWORD 'Yil8t8Wq1yFth' NOCREATEDB
NOCREATEUSER;
CREATE USER
CREATE USER "nico" WITH SYSID 32 CREATEDB CREATEUSER;
CREATE USER
[...]
DELETE FROM pg_group;
DELETE 0
\connect: FATAL:  IDENT authentication failed for user "nico"

I changed /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf so it only contains

  local    all     all   trust

and restarted postgres but I still get the same error message.
Any idea why the import complains about IDENT authentication when
I'm not even using it and how to get around it?

BTW: is there a way to create a database and then change ownership
to somebody else? (e.g. I want to give a user 1 database to play
with but I don't want to allow him to make any other databases)

Thanks in advance,

Nico

 "It has been said that there are only two businesses that
  refer to customers as users: illegal drug trade and
               the computer industry."
Nico De Ranter
Senior System Administrator
Sony Service Center (NSCE/VPE-B)
The Corporate Village, Da Vincilaan 7-D1
B-1935 Zaventem, Belgium
Telephone: +32 (0)2 706 43 11 Fax: +32 (0)2 700 86 22

Вложения

Re: "IDENT authentication failed" but I'm not using ident

Дата:
Nico De Ranter <nico@sonycom.com> writes:
> \connect: FATAL:  IDENT authentication failed for user "nico"

> I changed /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf so it only contains
>   local    all     all   trust=20
> and restarted postgres but I still get the same error message.
> Any idea why the import complains about IDENT authentication when=20
> I'm not even using it and how to get around it?

If you're getting that message then you *are* using IDENT auth.
My bet is that you changed the wrong config file.  /etc/postgresql
is not a very standard name for a Postgres data directory ...

> BTW: is there a way to create a database and then change ownership
> to somebody else?

No, but you can do it in one step.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/sql-createdatabase.html

            regards, tom lane

Re: "IDENT authentication failed" but I'm not using ident

От
Nico De Ranter
Дата:
On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 02:19, Tom Lane wrote:
> Nico De Ranter <nico@sonycom.com> writes:
> > \connect: FATAL:  IDENT authentication failed for user "nico"
>
> > I changed /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf so it only contains
> >   local    all     all   trust=20
> > and restarted postgres but I still get the same error message.
> > Any idea why the import complains about IDENT authentication when=20
> > I'm not even using it and how to get around it?
>
> If you're getting that message then you *are* using IDENT auth.
> My bet is that you changed the wrong config file.  /etc/postgresql
> is not a very standard name for a Postgres data directory ...

Yep, figured that out in the mean time. /etc/postgresql is the standard
location on Debian but this seems to have changed with the latest
upgrade on Debian/Sarge.

> > BTW: is there a way to create a database and then change ownership
> > to somebody else?
>
> No, but you can do it in one step.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/sql-createdatabase.html

Damn, should read man-page, should read man-page, should read man-page!

Thanks!

Nico