Обсуждение: Problem after RH9 Install of 7.4.2

Problem after RH9 Install of 7.4.2

От
bud.curtis@direcway.com (Bud Curtis)
Дата:
I recently built my RH9 system and updated the binary RPMs to 7.4.2.
I am new to Postgresql, but I think I understand the PDF documentation
provided.  However, I couldn't find any documentation on starting with
the binary RPMs.  Instead, the documentation seems to be bent on
building postgresql on the system.

When I attempt to start the server, ie.:

   -bash-2.05b$ postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
   FATAL:  "/usr/local/pgsql/data" is not a valid data directory
   DETAIL:  File "/usr/local/pgsql/data/PG_VERSION" is missing.
   -bash-2.05b$

I think I must be missing some environment variables and perhaps
configuration files.  For example, I manually created the
/usr/local/pgsql/data after reading the Administrator install
instructions.  It wasn't there just after installing the RPMs.

Also, it appears the RH9 RPMs installed postgresql in different
locations than the Administrator documentation implies.  I would
appreciate any help that you might provide.

Regards,
Bud Curtis

Re: Problem after RH9 Install of 7.4.2

От
jseymour@LinxNet.com (Jim Seymour)
Дата:
bud.curtis@direcway.com (Bud Curtis) wrote:

[snip]

> When I attempt to start the server, ie.:
>
>    -bash-2.05b$ postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
>    FATAL:  "/usr/local/pgsql/data" is not a valid data directory
>    DETAIL:  File "/usr/local/pgsql/data/PG_VERSION" is missing.
>    -bash-2.05b$
[snip]

You need to read the docs.  Start here

    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/installation.html

Skip the parts about building pgsql.  Read the rest.

Jim

Re: Problem after RH9 Install of 7.4.2

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
On Sunday 04 April 2004 12:23 am, Bud Curtis wrote:
> I recently built my RH9 system and updated the binary RPMs to 7.4.2.
> I am new to Postgresql, but I think I understand the PDF documentation
> provided.  However, I couldn't find any documentation on starting with
> the binary RPMs.  Instead, the documentation seems to be bent on
> building postgresql on the system.

See /usr/share/doc/postgresql-7.4.2/README.rpm-dist
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology