Обсуждение: Vacuum Issues

Vacuum Issues

От
"Mark M. Huber"
Дата:
Hi all

I have had this issue a couple of times now. on Solaris, and on 7.3 of the db.

I was did a normal vacuum and then I did a full which hung on a table, I waited for over an hour but there were no
activitygoing on so I ctrl'cd the job in a terminal window, kill off all associated processes and try to do another
normalvacuum which hung at the same spot. So I once again killed the processes. I went into the db and query the
pg_tablestables and found the order of the tables, I vacuumed the ones just before and just after and they went fine
butthe offending table would not vacuum, Next I thought I could just pg_dump that table but the db would not allow me
todo that either, I found a copy of the table from a restore I did on another box( the table has only 7 rows.) So I try
todrop it but that would work either. So the only alternative was to stop and restart the db which is totally
unacceptablein a 24x7 shop.

Does any one else see what I have done wrong or could do differently next time. Oh yes and after the stop and start I
coulddo a full vacuum on that table as well as the whole database.

I know it's after st. Patrick's day but I did not find any green men lurking around to be causing this, any ideas?,
hints?,suggestions?

I am at my wits ends as to where to turn next, I most certainly do not want to another vacuum full.

Mark M. Huber
Database Administrator
(702)-938-9300
markh@vmdirect.com
http://www.vmdirect.com
3035 E. Patrick Lane
Suite #1
Las Vegas, NV 89120

 <<Mark M. Huber.vcf>>

Вложения

Re: Vacuum Issues

Дата:
"Mark M. Huber" <MHuber@VMdirect.com> writes:
> I was did a normal vacuum and then I did a full which hung on a table,

Sounds to me like some other transaction is holding a lock on that
table.

In recent releases you can look in the pg_locks system view to see
who's got the lock.

            regards, tom lane