Обсуждение: Re-Init database cluster.

Re-Init database cluster.

От
Louie Kwan
Дата:
Hi All,

I did a pg_dumpall and psql the output and created a db. Basically, I would
like to clean up  everything including users and groups.

I tried to do initdb, but it didn't work.

My question is that can I just delete the directory where the database
cluster stored before.

I.e. rm -rf /var/lib/pgsql/data

Or I should do something else to re-init the database cluster.

Louie

Re: Re-Init database cluster.

Дата:
Louie Kwan <lkwan@nuvo.com> writes:
> I tried to do initdb, but it didn't work.
> My question is that can I just delete the directory where the database
> cluster stored before.
> I.e. rm -rf /var/lib/pgsql/data

Yup, that's the standard way ... however, maybe you should tell us
exactly what "didn't work".  Otherwise you'll likely just fail again.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Re-Init database cluster.

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Louie Kwan wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I did a pg_dumpall and psql the output and created a db. Basically, I would
> like to clean up  everything including users and groups.
>
> I tried to do initdb, but it didn't work.
>
> My question is that can I just delete the directory where the database
> cluster stored before.
>
> I.e. rm -rf /var/lib/pgsql/data
>
> Or I should do something else to re-init the database cluster.

You might wanna back up your pg_hba.conf and postgresql.conf files first,
if you've got any settings in there you'd like to keep.  but yeah, that's
the first step.  If you've got the space to back up the whole directory
I'd advise you do that as well first.

Then initdb --locale=youlocalehere

and you're off.  but like Tom said, what made you wanna do this?  Just
wanting a fresh start?  Corruption?  etc...?