Обсуждение: Concerned about previous version still in place

Concerned about previous version still in place

От
"Guy Smith"
Дата:
Hi,

Some time ago I upgraded to 7.3.4 from 7.2.2 and am now looking to upgrade again to 7.4.1.

At the time I upgraded to 7.3.4 I took a very cautious approach and ran make install after a configure --prefix
/home/postgres/root(and created a new database similarly) so that I could easily run up 7.2.2 installed under /usr/bin
(originallyinstalled there by rpm) if I needed to fail back.  I'm now looking to install 7.3.4 "officially" as a
precursorto beta installing 7.4.1 and have rerun configure without the --prefix and performed a make install.  This has
installedto /usr/local/pgsql/bin et al as would be expected from reading INSTALL (which, of course, I've done after the
event!). My concern is that I now have 7.2.2 executables installed at /usr/bin and libraries in /usr/lib and so on,
whichmay be used by my site code inadvertently.

I believe I could configure --prefix /usr and make install again to overwrite these but I've also noticed that there
areadditional files in /usr/include/pgsql that don't exist in /usr/local/pgsql/include so am concerned I could create a
mess. I would also like to move towards a consistent approach where my team don't need to consider --prefix for the
finalinstall, we go with the default.

I'm running SuSE Linux 8.2 - can I just use rpm to remove postgresql-7.2.2-90.i586.rpm without breaking anything?

Thanks,
Guy

Project Manager - SourceForge
Deutsche Bank [/]

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have
receivedthis e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying,
disclosureor distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

Panic involving a LC_COLLATE issue

От
Marco Gaiani
Дата:
Hi all,

I have experienced a distressing problem lately with my hosting provider
(they run RedHat), they had to downgrade their version of Postgresql
from 7.3.4 to 7.3.3 due to 7.3.4 "crashing" constantly. Instead of doing
a pg_dump of my databases they copied the data directory somewhere else
as data_old and went on with the downgrade of Postgres. They have not
been able to restore my databases but sent me a copy of the data directory.

I have tried to mount it with Mandrake 9.2 and Postgres 7.3.3 but I get
this error:

DEBUG:  FindExec: searching PATH ...
DEBUG:  ValidateBinary: can't stat "/bin/postgres"
DEBUG:  FindExec: found "/usr/bin/postgres" using PATH
DEBUG:  invoking IpcMemoryCreate(size=983040)
PANIC:  The database cluster was initialized with LC_COLLATE
'en_US.iso885915',
        which is not recognized by setlocale().
        It looks like you need to initdb.
Aborted

Any ideas on how to solve this, desesperatly yours

--
Marco Gaiani
Unidad de Promoción y Relaciones

Re: Panic involving a LC_COLLATE issue

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 01:45:40PM -0400, Marco Gaiani wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have experienced a distressing problem lately with my hosting provider
> (they run RedHat), they had to downgrade their version of Postgresql
> from 7.3.4 to 7.3.3 due to 7.3.4 "crashing" constantly. Instead of doing

First, this sounds pretty dodgy to me.  I have a feeling that they're
overlooking some other problem.  But that won't help you.

> a pg_dump of my databases they copied the data directory somewhere else
> as data_old and went on with the downgrade of Postgres. They have not
> been able to restore my databases but sent me a copy of the data directory.

This is ok -- the binaries are compatible across major versions, so a
7.3.3 tree should work with 7.3.x

> 'en_US.iso885915',
>        which is not recognized by setlocale().
>        It looks like you need to initdb.
> Aborted

You need the locale support offered by the Red Hat system.  Seems you
need ISO 8859-15.  My bet is either that Mandrake's locale doesn't
support that, you don't have the right libs, or the binary you've
installed wasn't compiled with the right support.  Can you actually
set your LANG to iso885915?

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
I remember when computers were frustrating because they *did* exactly what
you told them to.  That actually seems sort of quaint now.
        --J.D. Baldwin

PosgreSQL hogging resources?

От
"Jeremy Smith"
Дата:
I have newly installed PostgreSQL onto my server, the server's main function
is to serve up a fantasy football site that has a tremendous number of
queries per page.  Right now with very low traffic I am seeing a server load
of 2.0+.  That got me a little concerned, so I looked at "top" and noticed
that postgres is taking anywhere from 60 - 100 percent of my CPU at any
given time.  There are also 116 sleeping processes out of 123.  This all
seems very bad, do you guys have any idea what might be causing it or how it
can be addressed?  How do I go about cleaning out the sleeping processes?

Thanks alot,
Jeremy

Re: PosgreSQL hogging resources?

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
On Friday 20 February 2004 01:39 pm, Jeremy Smith wrote:
> I have newly installed PostgreSQL onto my server, the server's main
> function is to serve up a fantasy football site that has a tremendous
> number of queries per page.  Right now with very low traffic I am seeing a
> server load of 2.0+.

Not too bad.

>  That got me a little concerned, so I looked at "top"
> and noticed that postgres is taking anywhere from 60 - 100 percent of my
> CPU at any given time.

That would be good.

>  There are also 116 sleeping processes out of 123.
> This all seems very bad, do you guys have any idea what might be causing it
> or how it can be addressed?

>How do I go about cleaning out the sleeping
> processes?

You don't.  Sleeping processes is a normal thing with a multitasking OS.

How fast does the page load?  That would be the big question.  Run apache
bench (ab) against the page and see how many pages per second yu can get.  A
load of 2.0, an average CPU of 60-100%, and 7 running processes is not bad at
all.  It just means your server is working.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology

Re: PosgreSQL hogging resources?

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Jeremy Smith wrote:

> I have newly installed PostgreSQL onto my server, the server's main function
> is to serve up a fantasy football site that has a tremendous number of
> queries per page.  Right now with very low traffic I am seeing a server load
> of 2.0+.  That got me a little concerned, so I looked at "top" and noticed
> that postgres is taking anywhere from 60 - 100 percent of my CPU at any
> given time.  There are also 116 sleeping processes out of 123.  This all
> seems very bad, do you guys have any idea what might be causing it or how it
> can be addressed?  How do I go about cleaning out the sleeping processes?

Don't worry about sleeping processes, you should have a good hundred
sleeping on any unix box.  My workstation has 152, my server has 173, and
the response time on both is way sub second.

Now, about postgresql, what is it doing when it's chewing up 100% cpu?

Re: PosgreSQL hogging resources?

От
Mitch Pirtle
Дата:
Jeremy Smith wrote:

>I have newly installed PostgreSQL onto my server, the server's main function
>is to serve up a fantasy football site that has a tremendous number of
>queries per page.  Right now with very low traffic I am seeing a server load
>of 2.0+.  That got me a little concerned, so I looked at "top" and noticed
>that postgres is taking anywhere from 60 - 100 percent of my CPU at any
>given time.  There are also 116 sleeping processes out of 123.  This all
>seems very bad, do you guys have any idea what might be causing it or how it
>can be addressed?  How do I go about cleaning out the sleeping processes?

I agree with Lamar's comments, as well as wondering if it is really
needed to run a 'tremendous number of queries' for each page view...
Some quick solutions could be to determine if you could:

1) make changes to your design to require fewer hits to the database per
page,
2) make a view that provided the information without running so many
separate queries, and/or
3) consider using a caching library like ADOdb to limit the number of
trips to your database

Any combination of these three could significantly reduce the load on
your DB box, as well as provide some huge performance gains.  How hard
is your webserver working?  Are they running on the same box?

-- Mitch

Re: PosgreSQL hogging resources?

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Lamar Owen wrote:

> How fast does the page load?  That would be the big question.  Run apache
> bench (ab) against the page and see how many pages per second yu can get.  A
> load of 2.0, an average CPU of 60-100%, and 7 running processes is not bad at
> all.  It just means your server is working.

That really depends on the server.  If it's a PII-266 then it's about
right, if it's a dual AMD Athlon 2800 with 2 gigs of ram something's
horribly wrong.  So, what kind of hardware is this jer?

Re: PosgreSQL hogging resources?

От
"Jeremy Smith"
Дата:
I agree that my site is a bit bloated, it has more than 2500 total queries,
but it is a bit more complex of an application that might be readily
apparent.  For the curious, this is my site: http://www.xpertleagues.com.
But the issue is that with mysql, at my peak levels last year I had a server
load of 30+ (I know this is horrendous, I am looking into either upgrading
my P4 2.4gig 1gig ram server this year, or distributing across more than one
server) but the site itself never performed as slowly as it is now.  And
amazingly considering the server load last year, the server never crashed.
But now I am actually getting complaints on the lagtime, and I only have one
league actively drafting, last year I had 70+ at peak.

I will look into some of the suggestions you have made, the problem is that
I can't do large scale optimization at the moment because I am still adding
features to the site.  I just wonder if the best mode of attack would be
switching back to mysql until I have added all of the necessary features,
optimizing the queries and code there, and then switching back to pg at a
later date.

Jeremy

>I have newly installed PostgreSQL onto my server, the server's main
function
>is to serve up a fantasy football site that has a tremendous number of
>queries per page.  Right now with very low traffic I am seeing a server
load
>of 2.0+.  That got me a little concerned, so I looked at "top" and noticed
>that postgres is taking anywhere from 60 - 100 percent of my CPU at any
>given time.  There are also 116 sleeping processes out of 123.  This all
>seems very bad, do you guys have any idea what might be causing it or how
it
>can be addressed?  How do I go about cleaning out the sleeping processes?

I agree with Lamar's comments, as well as wondering if it is really
needed to run a 'tremendous number of queries' for each page view...
Some quick solutions could be to determine if you could:

1) make changes to your design to require fewer hits to the database per
page,
2) make a view that provided the information without running so many
separate queries, and/or
3) consider using a caching library like ADOdb to limit the number of
trips to your database

Any combination of these three could significantly reduce the load on
your DB box, as well as provide some huge performance gains.  How hard
is your webserver working?  Are they running on the same box?

-- Mitch

Re: PosgreSQL hogging resources?

От
Mitch Pirtle
Дата:
Jeremy Smith wrote:

>I will look into some of the suggestions you have made, the problem is that
>I can't do large scale optimization at the moment because I am still adding
>features to the site.  I just wonder if the best mode of attack would be
>switching back to mysql until I have added all of the necessary features,
>optimizing the queries and code there, and then switching back to pg at a
>later date.

When you switch to pg, you will be able to move some/lots? of your code
into the database as views, stored procedures, triggers etc...  So keep
that in mind while working in MySQL, as you will definitely need a
different approach.

I inherited a site that had very database-hungry pages, and started
using stored procs and triggers to automate some of the jobs (like
updates and such) in the database, instead of making the webserver
manually send the instructions across the wire.  If you plan on taking
this approach then you should get your app into pg sooner than later...

-- Mitch, wondering about 12 packs?

Re: PosgreSQL hogging resources?

От
"Jeremy Smith"
Дата:
Mitch,

One of the issues with my site is that many of the pages use iframes, so I
am actually loading up to 7 pages of varying database hungriness into the
browser at the same time.  I agree that pg with the triggers and procedures
should be able to adequately compete with mysql in terms of speed.  The
problem I am having is the complexity of the existing code combined with the
short amount of time that I have to get it to work.  Hopefully next
"offseason" I won't have as many new features do add and so will be able to
concentrate on optimization..

Anyway, I'm going to keep tinkering with pg offsite and I very much
appreciate all of the help and attention that I have been given from this
list.

Thanks,
Jeremy

>I will look into some of the suggestions you have made, the problem is that
>I can't do large scale optimization at the moment because I am still adding
>features to the site.  I just wonder if the best mode of attack would be
>switching back to mysql until I have added all of the necessary features,
>optimizing the queries and code there, and then switching back to pg at a
>later date.

When you switch to pg, you will be able to move some/lots? of your code
into the database as views, stored procedures, triggers etc...  So keep
that in mind while working in MySQL, as you will definitely need a
different approach.

I inherited a site that had very database-hungry pages, and started
using stored procs and triggers to automate some of the jobs (like
updates and such) in the database, instead of making the webserver
manually send the instructions across the wire.  If you plan on taking
this approach then you should get your app into pg sooner than later...

-- Mitch, wondering about 12 packs?

Re: PosgreSQL hogging resources?

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
Are you getting problems with crashing backends in postgresql and such
showing up?  I'm wondering if you have bad memory or something like that.

In my experience, Linux/apache/php/postgresql never crashes, it just goes
unresponsive when you get into severe overload.

Is your database vacuum / analyzed often?

Do you have indexes that are being used?

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Jeremy Smith wrote:

> I agree that my site is a bit bloated, it has more than 2500 total queries,
> but it is a bit more complex of an application that might be readily
> apparent.  For the curious, this is my site: http://www.xpertleagues.com.
> But the issue is that with mysql, at my peak levels last year I had a server
> load of 30+ (I know this is horrendous, I am looking into either upgrading
> my P4 2.4gig 1gig ram server this year, or distributing across more than one
> server) but the site itself never performed as slowly as it is now.  And
> amazingly considering the server load last year, the server never crashed.
> But now I am actually getting complaints on the lagtime, and I only have one
> league actively drafting, last year I had 70+ at peak.
>
> I will look into some of the suggestions you have made, the problem is that
> I can't do large scale optimization at the moment because I am still adding
> features to the site.  I just wonder if the best mode of attack would be
> switching back to mysql until I have added all of the necessary features,
> optimizing the queries and code there, and then switching back to pg at a
> later date.
>
> Jeremy

Robert Treat
Дата:
On Friday 20 February 2004 13:23, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 01:45:40PM -0400, Marco Gaiani wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have experienced a distressing problem lately with my hosting provider
> > (they run RedHat), they had to downgrade their version of Postgresql
> > from 7.3.4 to 7.3.3 due to 7.3.4 "crashing" constantly. Instead of doing
>
> First, this sounds pretty dodgy to me.  I have a feeling that they're
> overlooking some other problem.  But that won't help you.

On top of this, there is a fairly ciritcal bug in 7.3.3 that can cause server
start up failure.  It's a corner case, but still a pretty serious one.  You
should talk to your webhost about getting on 7.3.5 asap.

Robert Treat

Re: Panic involving a LC_COLLATE issue

Дата:
Marco Gaiani <mgaiani@fundacite.arg.gov.ve> writes:
> I have experienced a distressing problem lately with my hosting provider
> (they run RedHat), they had to downgrade their version of Postgresql
> from 7.3.4 to 7.3.3 due to 7.3.4 "crashing" constantly.

You should ask them why they've not reported their problems.  I've not
heard from anyone else that 7.3.4 is less stable than 7.3.3.

> PANIC:  The database cluster was initialized with LC_COLLATE
> 'en_US.iso885915',
>         which is not recognized by setlocale().
>         It looks like you need to initdb.

I think it should be possible to get the localedef source file for this
locale and build the necessary locale support on your Mandrake system.
I don't know exactly where to look for the locale source, though.

            regards, tom lane