Обсуждение: Dump and Reload process

Dump and Reload process

От
Chris Gamache
Дата:
I'm having some issues dumping a database from 7.2, reloading it to 7.4.

I'm using the 7.4 pg_dump. The problem I'm having is an issue of internal
object dependancies. For instance I have a_function that uses b_function. The
a_function gets dumped in first, and errors out because b_function hsan't been
created yet. I've found an ugly workaround: dump the schema first, and run the
sql through multiple times until all the various objects are created. Then
insert the data after.

Here are the dump comands that I used:

pg_dump --create --compress 9 --file=/vol1/work/db_schema_dump-040130.gz
--username=postgres --host=localhost --port=5432 -s mydata &

pg_dump --create --compress 9 --file=/vol1/work/db_data_dump-040130.gz
--username=postgres --host=localhost --port=5432 -a mydata &

There must be a better way! Thoughts?

CG

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/

Re: Dump and Reload process

Дата:
Chris Gamache <cgg007@yahoo.com> writes:
> I'm having some issues dumping a database from 7.2, reloading it to 7.4.
> I'm using the 7.4 pg_dump. The problem I'm having is an issue of internal
> object dependancies.
> There must be a better way! Thoughts?

This is (at long last) fixed in development tip.  In existing releases,
the only good solution is to use pg_restore's features for manually
controlling the load order :-(

            regards, tom lane