Обсуждение: Database diagram

Database diagram

От
"Ganesan Kanavathy"
Дата:
I have a postgres database with many tables.

How do I create database diagram? Are there any free tools available to
create database diagram from pgsql database?

Regards,
Ganesan

Re: Database diagram

От
Jodi Kanter
Дата:
I use Microsoft Visio. It also has reverse engineering. I ma having trouble with the refresh option which is quite frustrating but other than that it works fine. I used Erwin in the past and really like that but it is pricey and we already had a license available for Visio.
Jodi

Ganesan Kanavathy wrote:
I have a postgres database with many tables.

How do I create database diagram? Are there any free tools available to
create database diagram from pgsql database?

Regards,
Ganesan

_______________________________
Jodi L Kanter
BioInformatics Database Administrator
University of Virginia
(434) 924-2846
jkanter@virginia.edu

Re: [SQL] Database diagram

От
"Chris Travers"
Дата:
There is a free Perl script which is called something like pgautodoc which
creates DIA diagrams from databases.  Take a look for it on Freshmeat.
> I have a postgres database with many tables.
>
> How do I create database diagram? Are there any free tools available to
> create database diagram from pgsql database?
>
> Regards,
> Ganesan

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: [SQL] Database diagram

От
Rajesh Kumar Mallah
Дата:
Dear Ganesan,

pgautodoc (for dot output)  + dot (from graphviz.org , creates
postscript) +
epssplit ( splits the postscript into multipage so that one can create
poster size
diagrams) works well for me.

I have 45 tables in the database though.

Regds
mallah.

Chris Travers wrote:

>There is a free Perl script which is called something like pgautodoc which
>creates DIA diagrams from databases.  Take a look for it on Freshmeat.

Gary Stainburn
Дата:
On Friday 23 January 2004 6:16 pm, Rajesh Kumar Mallah wrote:
> Dear Ganesan,
>
> pgautodoc (for dot output)  + dot (from graphviz.org , creates
> postscript) +
> epssplit ( splits the postscript into multipage so that one can create
> poster size
> diagrams) works well for me.
>
> I have 45 tables in the database though.

Can anyone point me to a download for pgautodoc.  I had a look on freshmeat
(as Chris suggested) and couldn't find it. The only other thing I could find
were RPMS that wouldn't go on my system.

Gary

> Regds
> mallah.
>
> Chris Travers wrote:
> >There is a free Perl script which is called something like pgautodoc which
> >creates DIA diagrams from databases.  Take a look for it on Freshmeat.
[snip]
--
Gary Stainburn

Re: [SQL] Database diagram

От
"Chris Travers"
Дата:
Sorry, it is called postgresql_autodoc.  It can be found at
http://freshmeat.net/projects/postgresql_autodoc, iirc.

I have been having trouble with it crashing (segfault) which is surprising
since it is written in Perl (must be a bum CPAN module, but I will have to
wait to figure out which one).

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

On Friday 23 January 2004 6:16 pm, Rajesh Kumar Mallah wrote:
> Dear Ganesan,
>
> pgautodoc (for dot output)  + dot (from graphviz.org , creates
> postscript) +
> epssplit ( splits the postscript into multipage so that one can create
> poster size
> diagrams) works well for me.
>
> I have 45 tables in the database though.

Can anyone point me to a download for pgautodoc.  I had a look on freshmeat
(as Chris suggested) and couldn't find it. The only other thing I could find
were RPMS that wouldn't go on my system.

Gary

> Regds
> mallah.
>
> Chris Travers wrote:
> >There is a free Perl script which is called something like pgautodoc
which
> >creates DIA diagrams from databases.  Take a look for it on Freshmeat.
[snip]
--
Gary Stainburn

Re: [SQL] Database diagram

От
Robert Creager
Дата:
When grilled further on (Mon, 26 Jan 2004 18:02:59 +0700),
"Chris Travers" <chris@travelamericas.com> confessed:

> I have been having trouble with it crashing (segfault) which is surprising
> since it is written in Perl (must be a bum CPAN module, but I will have to
> wait to figure out which one).

Just wondering which version of DBD::Pg you are using?  When I upgrade from 1.22
to 1.31 (DBI 1.37), Perl was segfaulting
(http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/dbdpg/bugs/bugupdate.php?628) for me when
using fetch with bind_columns.

GBorg developers cannot seem to reproduce the problem, and I have not had the
time to try and bake a simple reproduction.  They got back to me 1 1/2 months
later, and still closed the bug.  Kind of like the EDS crew which 'manages' our
computer systems at work :-(

Cheers,
Rob

--
 05:15:30 up 28 days, 19:01,  4 users,  load average: 2.00, 2.02, 2.00

Вложения

Re: [SQL] Database diagram

От
"Chris Travers"
Дата:
Hi Robert;

I am using DBD::Pg 1.31.  That may be the problem.  Any suggestions
regarding repairing this problem at the moment?

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
>I have a postgres database with many tables.
>
>How do I create database diagram? Are there any free tools available to
>create database diagram from pgsql database?
>
>Regards,
>Ganesan

>TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Did you already tried dia?
I never used it, but someone told me that imports data definition from
PostgreSQL. You can try it.

Luis Sousa

Вложения

Re: [SQL] Database diagram

От
Roberto Mello
Дата:
On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 02:38:12PM +0800, Ganesan Kanavathy wrote:
> I have a postgres database with many tables.
>
> How do I create database diagram? Are there any free tools available to
> create database diagram from pgsql database?

There are several such tools:

http://www.rbt.ca/autodoc/
dbVisualizer - gratis, but not Free

and many others. Search in freshmeat.net and google.

-Roberto

--
+----|        Roberto Mello   -    http://www.brasileiro.net/  |------+
+       Computer Science Graduate Student, Utah State University      +

Re: [SQL] Database diagram

От
Rita Rossinelli-Biagioni
Дата:
http://freshmeat.net/projects/postgresql_autodoc/?topic_id=66

Postgresql AutoDoc - Default branch
by Rod Taylor - Thursday, July 19th 2001 11:15 PST     Section: Software

About:
Postgresql AutoDoc has the ability to output XML, which can be loaded
into Dia to create a UML diagram of the database (complete with table
relations and descriptive information), an HTML form for further
detailed information, GraphViz .dot output, and Docbook 4.1 style SGML
for inclusion with project documentation as an appendix. It works on any
7.x PostgreSQL-based database.

Chris Travers wrote:
> There is a free Perl script which is called something like pgautodoc which
> creates DIA diagrams from databases.  Take a look for it on Freshmeat.

Дата:
Hey Chris,

I just installed version 1.22 from cpan and it fixed the problem.  From a CPAN
prompt (if you use it) <install D/DW/DWHEELER/DBD-Pg-1.22.tar.gz>.

Cheers,
Rob

When grilled further on (Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:17:57 +0700),
"Chris Travers" <chris@travelamericas.com> confessed:

> I am using DBD::Pg 1.31.  That may be the problem.  Any suggestions
> regarding repairing this problem at the moment?

--
 20:17:03 up 29 days, 10:02,  4 users,  load average: 1.01, 1.06, 1.01

Вложения