Обсуждение: Postgresql DB on a live cd

Postgresql DB on a live cd

От
Дата:
Hi,

I'am trying to create a demo cd (knoppix) with a jdbc application.

This application uses a static (read-only, no insert, modify or delete) 200MB
postgresql db, so can't put pgsql/data/base and pgsql/data/pg_xlog in ramdisk.

postmaster fails to start because can't open the files in these two dirs with
read and write access.

The question is : can postmaster start only with read access ?

Any alternative solutions ?

Thank in advance,
Lucio

Re: Postgresql DB on a live cd

От
"jtaaribi"
Дата:
http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/42.php

Regards

Inaki

I'am trying to create a demo cd (knoppix) with a jdbc application.

This application uses a static (read-only, no insert, modify or delete)
200MB
postgresql db, so can't put pgsql/data/base and pgsql/data/pg_xlog in
ramdisk.

postmaster fails to start because can't open the files in these two dirs
with
read and write access.

The question is : can postmaster start only with read access ?

Any alternative solutions ?

Thank in advance,
Lucio

Re: Postgresql DB on a live cd

От
Дата:
> http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/42.php
> Regards
> Inaki

Thank you Inaki for the direction,

This is the interesting part :

 --> log file -- this can be directed to /dev/null
 --> There are ways to stop the writing to the log file and pgstat.stat, but pg_clog cannot be turned off.

Sorry for my questions but I'm a newbie postgresql user.

Real data are only in pgsql/data/base ?
Does postmaster open these files in read-write mode ?

What is defined as "log file" is in pgsql/data/pg_xlog ?
Here I have the biggest files and if these ones are only logs I could turning off them.
Please, can you give me any direction how to do it, or how to redirect them to /dev/null ?

I don't care about turning off pc_clog, can put it in ramdisk.

Thanks

Lucio

Re: Postgresql DB on a live cd

От
Greg Spiegelberg
Дата:
Why not have a static copy of the pg_clog on boot, copy it to a ramdisk
and point Postgres there?

Greg

mail@iond.it wrote:
>>http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/42.php
>>Regards
>>Inaki
>

> Thank you Inaki for the direction,
>
> This is the interesting part :
>
>  --> log file -- this can be directed to /dev/null
>  --> There are ways to stop the writing to the log file and pgstat.stat, but pg_clog cannot be turned off.
>
> Sorry for my questions but I'm a newbie postgresql user.
>
> Real data are only in pgsql/data/base ?
> Does postmaster open these files in read-write mode ?
>
> What is defined as "log file" is in pgsql/data/pg_xlog ?
> Here I have the biggest files and if these ones are only logs I could turning off them.
> Please, can you give me any direction how to do it, or how to redirect them to /dev/null ?
>
> I don't care about turning off pc_clog, can put it in ramdisk.
>
> Thanks
>
> Lucio

Greg Spiegelberg
  Sr. Product Development Engineer
  Cranel, Incorporated.
  Phone: 614.318.4314
  Fax:   614.431.8388
  Email: gspiegelberg@Cranel.com
Cranel. Technology. Integrity. Focus.

Re: Postgresql DB on a live cd

От
Mailer
Дата:
Alle 16:13, mercoledì 19 novembre 2003, hai scritto:
> Why not have a static copy of the pg_clog on boot, copy it to a ramdisk
> and point Postgres there?
>
> Greg

Hi, Greg

My problem is around base (70MB) and pg_xlog (115MB) dirs, and not pc_clog (20Kb) dir
that, as you also say, can be copied to the ramdisk.

How to redirect postgresql log files to /dev/null ?
Wandering around the net, I have read that wal can't be disabled.

Regards

Lucio